PDA

View Full Version : 14k Hamiltons and Algae reduction???

Andrewsreef
01/29/2007, 11:50 PM
Hi, I have a 90 reef that is doing very well. I have a nice mixed reef garden consisting of SPS, LPS a Clam and some softies. For over a year now I have been struggling with a floresent green kind of slime algae/Cano. Not bad but on some rocks/areas and consistently on a few corals (Cap) in spots.

I tried everything including water changes, phosphate removers, frequent carbon changes and the like. Nothing registers on a test kit and nothing seems to help much. It has always kind of frustrated me. I had it through 2 sets of metal halide bulbs, 10k Reeflux and 10k XMs.

I switched to 14k Hamiltons less than a week ago and I noticed this algae has really started to decline. It is almost completely gone. Nothing else seems to have changed so I am hopeing I am onto something.

Thanks

Andrew

hahnmeister
01/30/2007, 01:26 AM
Several others, including myself have noticed this when going from a day bulb to a bluer bulb. Some algaes like cyano bloom under IR light, usually caused by old bulbs... so simply changing the bulbs is part of it.

The other reason could be that many algaes like warmer light... by removing this abundant source, you take away yet another favorable factor. While changing the lights to be more blue alone isnt a sure fix, it can be enough to tip the scales to be less favorable for the algae, and it goes away. But if there are plenty of other favorable circumstances, like nitrients, then algae can still come back.