PDA

View Full Version : 55 Gal Tank - Filter Questions

zmazza
01/30/2007, 08:20 AM
Hey guys,

I am hoping I'll have a new 55 gallon tank sitting in my living room in the next few weeks. At first, I was wanting to set it up as a cichlid tank. The more I think about how much fun my 29 gallon was, the more I want to set it up as a FOWLR tank. It's going to have a standard flourescent hood over it, so I'm hoping that I can have the live rock. I'm pretty sure all it needs is current in the aquarium to filter the water.

My question is.... I've got a RENA XP2.... I had it set up on my 29 gallon tank with just a few filter pads, mainly for flow. When I took it off the aquarium, I went to clean it a few days later and I've never smelled a stench so awful. It must have had 50-75 bristleworms and all sort of pods in there. If I run the canister empty, as in take out all the baskets and just let it swash water around basically, if I put a piece of live rock in there or something, would it act like a sump? Would it grow pods and bristleworms and things like that? For example... could I just stop the siphon, take the canister out, and dump it into the main aquarium to get all the little critters out?

Is that a good idea?