PDA

View Full Version : Lasted I cheated...help me do it for real this time

ralphie16
01/30/2007, 09:34 AM
Last time I bought the AGA Megaflow Kit for my two overflows. I got a new tank now and don't want to buy the $50 kit. Please let me know if I am on the right track or if I am way off base.

I have one over flow so I think I need:

1" and 3/4" bulkheads

Two MPT to barb adaptors which screw into the bottom of each bulkhead and then I attached the flexible tubing down to the sump

I was thinking for the drain part I would use the Aquasilencer that Premium Aquatics sells and this would take care of the entire drain side because it just slips into the bulkhead

Now the return part I am having trouble with. I know lockline modular tubes at the very end but what do I need between the bulkhead and the lockline? I was thinking some type of pvc pipe to slip fit into the bulkhead? which schedule? then how do I connect the lockline moudular tube to the pvc pipe? some type of elbow adaptor maybe?

Coraline2020
01/30/2007, 11:50 AM
I have based the following info on the "Megaflow Kit" I just installed on my AGA 120. Use 3/4" thin walled pvc from bulbhead fitting to desired height of overflow box for return line. Attach a 3/4" slip to 3/4" female threaded 90* elbow to top of return line. Then attach 3/4" MPT Connector Lockline piece to that. Finally, finish off Lockline pieces to your desired configuration. Hope this helps.

Almost forgot...remember to drill small hole in underneath side of 90* elbow for an anti-siphon for the return line.

Liz

pjf
01/30/2007, 06:07 PM
The bulkheads that you need are not regular PVC bulkheads. They are thinner ABS bulkheads. You can find them at: http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_plumbing_parts_fittings_bulkheads_strainers.asp

Do carefully note the required hole sizes.

I am curious about the 1" Aqua Silencer from Premium Aquatics. When you receive it, would you please email to me both the external and internal diameters of the opening at the bottom of the standpipe?

The standpipe in my stock Megaflow Kit is made of very thin plastic in order to maximize the flow diameter. I'd like to see how the Aqua Silencer is different or similar.

Thanks very much.

d4a2n0k
01/30/2007, 06:18 PM
Yes pjf is right. Unfortunately, AGA do not drill the holes big enough for the stronger schedule 80 bulkheads. You have to use the black, flimsier ones.

For the connections from return to locline, you can use a 90 elbow that has a slip 3/4" on one side and an FPT 1/2" or 3/4" on the other side depending on which size locline you are using.

I get my plumbing stuff from www.savko.com

If you are buying locally, I have found that Ace Hardware has the best selection of PVC stuff including flex PVC and schedule 80 fittings. They also have the not so common fittings that Home Depot and Lowes do not carry.

casingbill
01/30/2007, 06:39 PM
easier to spend the 50

they also come with a dual locline nozzle