PDA

View Full Version : 24" cube tank...what is a good lighting choice?

ralphie16
01/30/2007, 10:46 AM
I have a 45 gallon cube tank (24" width) that I would like to get lights for.

I do not plan to keep a full blown reef, because the tank is centered around two pairs of fish. But I would like to include some soft corals and other corals that do not require much beyond a a tank with a good skimmer, live rock and refugium. I do not want to dose calcium, magnesium, keep track of alk and all that fun stuff you reefers do.

In this casem which lights will be a good choice for me?

Would a small metal halide fixture right over the center of the cube be nice?

As for T5 fixtures, I like the Aquactinics but I do not think they offer a 24" fixture, and neither does Fauna Marin (sic). Am I stuck with the Tek fixture?

How about the Nova Extreme fixture? Im sure it is a crappier fixture then the other three I have named but do I really need all that the expensive fixtures offer for a soft coral type of tank? As for them not having individual reflectors, they manufacturer emailed me saying that in the next month or two they will be releasing an updated version with individual reflectors.

Regardless, with what I am striving for in my tank, which lights do you guys recommend? Also, if t5 is the winner, which brand of those I have named is most appropriate for me? I am not asking for the best one, only which one will suit my needs, ya know?

asmujica
01/30/2007, 10:57 AM
You could buy two single retro T5's and fit them on a custom hood. I would be an icecap kit for the t5's with individual reflectors.

ralphie16
01/30/2007, 11:09 AM
That sounds like a great idea but I do not want to incorporate a canopy into this setup.

GSMguy
01/30/2007, 12:07 PM
24inch tek t5 light would be great or a metal halide pendant like a 250watt hqi

GSMguy
01/30/2007, 12:10 PM
if you can wait the aquatinics 24inch is going to come out i will be getting one

ralphie16
01/30/2007, 01:05 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9114330#post9114330 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
if you can wait the aquatinics 24inch is going to come out i will be getting one

How long ya talkin' about Willis?

GSMguy
01/30/2007, 01:15 PM
i think march ish
ok well cant tell you for sure but i have lights so waiting for me is easier
if i were you i would get a 6 bulb tek light from reefgeek but thats cuz i have no paitence

ralphie16
01/30/2007, 02:08 PM
and whats wrong with the cheap nova fictures? ill get some ok light but still have the ability to choose bulb configuration and get the "look" that I seek

chem-e
01/30/2007, 02:32 PM
The Nova fixtures don't have individual reflectors, so it doesn't produce as much par as other fixtures.

Have you checked out the Fauna Marin fixtures? They have nice fixtures and they're planning to come out with a fixture that's "enclosed" in the future.

Also, whatever you decide to get, try to get something with atleast 5 bulbs. (I wish I did.)

GSMguy
01/30/2007, 03:18 PM
fauna marine is a glorified retro nice but not nothing like a good t5 fixture
ralphie i think the nova is about the same as the power compact fixtures inneficent

asmujica
01/30/2007, 03:26 PM
You could probably make your own hanging pendant, somewhere along the lines of this one, but I imagine quite a bit smaller.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/8807pecera4.jpg

HippieSmell
01/30/2007, 04:07 PM
The lumenarc pendants have a nice square light output.

GSMguy
01/30/2007, 04:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9115905#post9115905 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
fauna marine is a glorified retro nice but not nothing like a good t5 fixture
ralphie i think the nova is about the same as the power compact fixtures inneficent
i didnt mean what i said
fauna marine is a very very nice retro
but buying a t5hood is an easier solution

d4a2n0k
01/30/2007, 05:15 PM
I just setup an Oceanic 45 Tech Tank which is 24". I used a 24" Maristar fixture with 1 x 250w MH and 2 x 24w T-5s. This way I can do a dawn/dusk effect rather than just having one MH bulb in a pendant. I think they also offer it in a 1 x 150W and 2 x 24w T-5s if you dont want/need that much light.

Premium Aquatics has the silver Maristar fixture in 24" on their clearance area. I got it for a very good deal and it came with all bulbs, ballasts and a hanging kit. Its almost half the price of the black Maristar. Sunlight Supply discontinued the silver Maristars and Premium Aquatics bought all their stock. It comes with the full warranty.

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o266/gbannister/Picture044.jpg