PDA

View Full Version : 4 foot tank, 3 foot pc light - problems

zmazza
01/30/2007, 02:49 PM
I'm getting a 55 gallon tank, and I don't want to have to buy new lighting since I have a 36" coralife aqualight double on my 29 gallon, which the tank inhabitants are conveniently being moved to the 55 gallon, freeing up the light. I'm going to order a glass canopy for the tank, but my big question is.... the legs on the light won't work anymore, and I don't want the light to take a plunge. I'm not sure if the glass canopy can support the weight of the light, or if it's even safe to have it sitting on the glass canopy. It's got a little acrylic shield, but I'm more worried about heat.

What should I do? Any suggesstions that will let me keep using this light on my tank?

Thanks in advance.

David Grigor
01/30/2007, 03:52 PM
Use a hanging kit. If you don't want to hang from cieling make a bracket that attaches to the back of your stand to hang them from.

zmazza
01/30/2007, 03:55 PM
That would involve taking the light apart, right? I'm going to be making a canopy for it, but I'm no electrician by any means. I hate to ruin a good light. I thought about cutting pieces of acrylic to rest the light off the tank. I guess I could always hang it inside the canopy, but then again, that's another problem in itself. How do I hang that entire fixture? Oh decisions, decisions.

newrossman
01/30/2007, 04:21 PM
Hi,
Why not just mount the legs on 2 wood strips run across tank and if painted same colour as legs it will look and weigth should be ok
Only issue is the 6" on either site but should be ok, well try it and see.
I hate hanging things, im always worried i did'nt do it right!

zmazza
01/30/2007, 04:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9116391#post9116391 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by newrossman
Hi,
Why not just mount the legs on 2 wood strips run across tank and if painted same colour as legs it will look and weigth should be ok
Only issue is the 6" on either site but should be ok, well try it and see.
I hate hanging things, im always worried i did'nt do it right!

True genius! I'm going to be getting 2x4's and 3/4 inch plywood to complete the stand and canopy. I think it's really going to turn out nice. It'll cost me a fortune, but it'll be nice. :) I'm going to stain it and what not. Great idea on the wood, though. I'll put the glass canopy down and then just make the wood sit right on the edge of the frame, not in the lip, that way it won't break. I wonder whether it would be better to cut a 3/4" strip of plywood or use the 2x4? Great idea though. I know what you mean with hanging it. I can see it going right in the tank, lol. Plus, it might be a bit unsightly in the living room, you know?

zmazza
01/30/2007, 04:29 PM
As far as the 6" on either side goes.... I'll just make sure that I put all my corals in the middle, right? Should be enough ambient light for it to be OK. I only have a few zoanthid frags anyway. They are my favorite by far.

Sorry for the double post.