PDA

View Full Version : questions on interceptor for RB

proboscis
01/30/2007, 05:22 PM
i have pills for 11-25lb dogs that i use on my dog, will these work to kill RB on my acro colonies and frags? or do i need the ones for a dog that weighs more? also i will be setting up a quarantine 30g rubbermaid tub to hold my frags and colonies for a week while i treat them i will check them again thoroughly and treat for them again if so needed after the initial week, also let me get this correct, pocciliopora and montapora caps and digi's are not or will not harbor RB? thanks to all who can help or maybe point me to exact link for directions on QT of my SPS for RB. dang search never works at all never
also, my color fading wasn't from PO4 obviously, i saw the culptrits last night all over a validia colony and my efflo frag as well as a few different milli's and oregon tort and my cali tort to, nooooo! this sucks. i wonder were i could have gotten them and when, i dont even want to know how long they have been in the tank either, it was a transfer from a 29g that was set up for 3 yrs. i know i didnt have RB before i moved the tank i couldn't have. i had acros growin up to the water top practically with insane color about 6inches under a 150w HQI radium, they had to have come from frags i recieved from locals, ultimatefrags.com or with someone from RC. :strooper:

Rays
01/30/2007, 06:24 PM
This was the original study, I don't know about the smaller dog pills, I used the large.
http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45859

proboscis
01/30/2007, 06:35 PM
thanks, i dont want to nuke my whole tank though! only QT my sps for a while, month or so if i have too, what ever it takes besides nuking my whole tank. im sure others have treated can anyone offer me advice on life cyce and treating all colonies and frags in a QT tank outside of my Display tank, also the first post i made had some questions of coral types they dont like, mont cap, digi??? thanks for all the help

marino420td
01/30/2007, 06:44 PM
I don't want to tell you what to do, but I would treat the entire tank. I wanted to do the same thing you are talking about and received a lot of advice to treat the entire system. The redbugs can survive on any sps, even a small fragment that may be hidden in your rock work.

I treated my entire system, got rid of all of the redbugs and some of my pods and crabs survived. I'm glad I treated the whole system now. Not to mention, it was much easier than running a QT tank for a month.

proboscis
01/30/2007, 09:10 PM
my situation mainly why i dont want to treat the tank(s) is because i have 2 tanks plumbed to 1 sump, i suppose i could make each tank its own and then go about treating each tank individually still ah, it will be a heck of a chore. i just dont want to kill my sand bed and have a tank crash thats really scares me!!!

marino- what did u notice about red bugs and Montipora caps & digi's ? just curious because i hear they dont like them?

Justin/TiV
01/30/2007, 09:45 PM
treat the entire tank...my last dose I did a double dose...and they havent' returned in months...

marino420td
01/30/2007, 10:19 PM
I never saw any redbugs on my caps & digis and they did not show signs of stress. But I noticed an immediate improvement in the infected sps after treatment.

proboscis
01/30/2007, 10:50 PM
for what size dogs did u guys use????? do u think what i jave for my dog as mention up top will work or should i just spend the $$$$$$$ and get big dogstuff??? its the same chemical just a stronger dose

marino420td
01/30/2007, 11:25 PM
This thread should help

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1018455

distallassazn
01/30/2007, 11:34 PM
i think it should be okay As long you used the recommended dosage for the main compound.

proboscis
01/31/2007, 03:57 PM
Well i just dosed a 5.75mg tablet for 90g at 3:30p.m. im going to keep it in the tank for 12 hrs. per Borneman then change 20g of water and add carbon, i never turned off my PO4 reactor, i did shut off my skimmmer and took the cup off and dumped water from my tank into it. i havent topped off in a few days, and my tanks have big overflows and mucho rock frag, tank has a 3 inch sandbed, im closer to 100g than 90g probably but i didnt want to waste a extra pill for some shavings off the side, and im going to follow up with 2 more doses over the next 2 wednesdays so i can do it next time if neccessary.

GraviT
01/31/2007, 04:04 PM
I just treated my tank yesterday with great results. If you get bored, you can wander over and read my hour-by-hour post, complete with macro shots of the buggers, on dfwmas.org (http://www.dfwmas.org/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=27979)

proboscis
01/31/2007, 04:24 PM
GraviT-
checked it out, what precations are u taking with new arrivals, as i want to follow some type of dip protocol from now on, i was thinking of TMPCC, it would suck to have to interceptor every frag from now on in a seperate QT tank, but if thats what it takes to rid my SPS of pests its well worth it considering the $$$ ive thrown at this hobby

GraviT
01/31/2007, 04:36 PM
I'm going to dip and treat every new acro before adding them to my tank. Between the red bugs and flat worms, I've got too much to risk it anymore.

I think I'll also grab some TMPCC eventually and give it a shot.

marino420td
01/31/2007, 05:12 PM
What will you dip the acros in?

proboscis
01/31/2007, 05:19 PM
if i have to interceptor, but i will try TMPCC first, i have to order some. what is everyone else using for new SPS that they aquire?

JER-Z
02/02/2007, 05:30 PM
i dosed and left it in tank for a week to set in...Then did the 25% change and carbon..

corals are really perking up although i got a bit of an algal bloom...i assume it's from nuking the pods and crabs.