PDA

View Full Version : phosphate reactor questions

Dorado13
01/30/2007, 05:31 PM
I have a two little fishies phosphate reactor but I am kinda paranoid that I am not using it correctly. First off, what kind of feed pump does everyone use? Is there any sort of consensus on which media is the best? The directions on phosban suggest using 1g per gallon, is this a safe amount? I have heard that using too much can be harmful to corals so I just wanted to make sure. And finally, how do you know when the media has gone bad? Sorry about all of the questions but I just want to make sure I'm using it right. Thanks ahead of time, Brian

AZDesertRat
01/30/2007, 05:37 PM
Most seem to use a MaxiJet 400, I know I do. If you are just adding the reactor you may want to start with a smaller amount of Phosban than the recommended amount so you don't shock your corals. Some people have reported problems when first introducing phosphate media for the first time. I didn't and I started with the full 150 grams but I don't know if thats the norm or not. I change the media every 2 months or so but it all depends on your system and its phosphate levels and how much you add with flake foods and such. Every tank is different.

tanku
01/30/2007, 05:39 PM
Recommended flow rate: 80 gph = 300 lph for 130 grams PhosBan, 90 gph = 342 lph for 200 grams.
I use a maxi jet mini 606. test your phosphates once a month, if there is an increase change the media.

rkizer06140
01/30/2007, 05:41 PM
i use a maxi jet 400. i think most people perfer useing rawphos or phosban. i use phosban. i think you should start useing maybe around 1/4th fo the recomended dosage. but i wouldnt suggest useing it unless you have tested for phospahates. and thats how you no when to replace it alos , when phosphates start to rise

Dorado13
01/30/2007, 06:03 PM
Wow thanks everyone for the input. I'm using the salifert test kit and it is reading 0, but I have a feeling that the phosphates are just quickly getting used up. I'm considering buying the hanna meter just to be sure. Does anyone know where to get those?

elmatth1
01/30/2007, 08:23 PM
I'm using a phosban reactor with a Maxi jet 400 with phosban media. Seems to work good for me in helping rid my tank of a bad hair algea outbreak i've had recently.

dbrock12
01/30/2007, 08:46 PM
I run 3 Phosban reactors on my 180 reef. One with phosban, one with carbon, and the third I will normally run purigen. I feed all of my reactors from a header that comes from a tee off of my main return pump. Each reactor has an individual valve for adjusting flow to that reactor. For the reactor with the Phosban, I adjust the flow to where the top 1/2 to 3/4 in. of media is gently tumbling.

As to when to replace the Phosban material, I simply test the efluent exiting the reactor once a month. Anything other than "0", and it is time to change out the media. Usually around every 3 - 4 months. I find this a much better indicator of when to change the media than testing the tank water itself. If the effluent is testing "0", even if the tank is testing slightly higher, then the media is doing all that it can do. On the rare occasion that I find my tank water to test small amounts of phosphate and my reactor effluent to test "0", then I will change the third reactor from Purigen to additional Phosban. This will lower the tank water back to "0" in a matter of days.

Don