PDA

View Full Version : mag 24 help

StephNewman
01/30/2007, 06:38 PM
Okay, i had got a mag 24 for my return pump. It was working fine when using it for the first time. Then after leaving home that first day for a few hours, I came back to a broken glass sump and obviously the mag drive running out of water for an unknown amount of time (less than three hours however because that was as long as I was gone). Well it took me a few weeks to get the sump fix and I went to set it back up today and turned on the mag 24, but now it isn't working. I hear a soft humming (not loud like it was) and it is not pushing any water through it. It doesn't look like the propeller is turnign at all. Is the mag drive ruined or is there a possible way to fix this.

BruiseAndy
01/30/2007, 07:20 PM
Take the impeller out and inspect it closely look for chips and cracks. Look in the casing and make sure where the impeller goes doesnt look all jacked up in there.

StephNewman
01/31/2007, 06:59 PM
It doesn't seem that i can remove the whole impeller like in other pumps, I'm cunfused on how to check this pump.

jmchzn
01/31/2007, 10:51 PM
won't running a pump dry sieze it?

StephNewman
02/01/2007, 05:09 PM
I didn't mean to run it dry, any way to fix it

Fishbulb2
02/01/2007, 06:09 PM
Steph,
I have had other mags although not the 24. Typically to inspect the impeller on a mag you need a screwdriver to remove the front end of the housing. Were you able to do this? If so the impeller should just be able to pull out unless the Mag24 is a different beast than the smaller versions.
fb

StephNewman
02/02/2007, 09:13 AM
Yes, I removed screw and was able to remove the main part of impeller, circular wheel part, it looks fine. I will take pics when I get home to let everyone know what I'm talking about. In smaller models that I have used (not nessecarily a mag drive) the shaft of propeller and circular part are usually connected however in this mag the circular part disocnnects from shaft and I am unable to remove shaft. Hard to explain. I will put up pics as soon as I get home later today. The propeller looks fine, I think it is something within the main compartment of the mag which I can't find a way to get into.

Wryknow
02/02/2007, 04:34 PM
This certainly isn't very technical, but I whack mine with the palm of my hand four or five times and then unplug and plug it back in a couple of times until it restarts. I've had one or two of my mag drives get finicky about restarting as they got a bit older (and yes, they make that humming noise just as you described.) The mag 5 that I have is pretty bad (it's three years old or so) - I've got to knock that around pretty good on occassion. The mag 12 has never required more than a bump or two. :)

StephNewman
02/03/2007, 05:03 PM
I did try the bumping but didn't work. I was able to remove the shaft(magnetic part of the impeller), needless to say the magnet is still very good I had to grab onto the impeller with a wrench to pull it out. There is some crusting on the magnet and inside of the pump where magnet sits, so hoping that some vinegar will remove this and it will start running correctly again. If not than maybe I can just buy a new magnet part and hope it fixes the proplem. Thanks for all the help though, I appreciate it, this is a great forum.

dgunn
02/03/2007, 10:02 PM
I have a mag 24 that is on my beckett skimmer that has been running steadily for a couple of years. On my smaller mags the shafts elongate the hole in the volute and the case and then the impellor wobbles and makes noise but I have never had this happen with the large mag. When this happens I have wrapped the rubber end piece with teflon tape and it has worked fine.
It is very difficult to remove the magnet portion of the impellor on the mag24 just because the pull is so strong. Be careful putting it back in as well cause it will pull in very quickly and chip the end of the ceramic shaft. I use needle-nose pliers and go slowly.

StephNewman
02/10/2007, 01:19 PM
the ceramic shaft is chipped on both my impeller, actually this last one broke off intirely when trying to remove it. I don't know if the chip out of the mag is causing the problem or what.