PDA

View Full Version : quiet pumps

mrbill70
01/30/2007, 06:52 PM
I recently set up a 10 gallon sump for a 20 gallon tank utilizing a rio 14F for the return (guy at lfs recommended it). It was way too powerful, but I throttled the outflow by using the valve/return method that many on this site use. The main problem was the thing was loud..I mean LOUD. The tank is in a bedroom and this pump rattled the entire cabinent. So, my next thought was to use a maxijet powerhead. The manufactures site lists maximum head heights, so I figured it would do the job on a 20g tank while being quiet. Now im having my doubts about the longterm viability of that setup, partly due to advice obtained on this board. That brings me to my question. What is a return pump that can lift water approximately 4 feet with a flow rate adequate for a 20 gallon tank. I was looking at a mag 1.9 which is rated at 135gph at 4'...are these things quiet enough to go in a bedroom...how loud are they relative to a powerhead?

Abengochea
01/30/2007, 07:09 PM
I say go for the mag.... .Ive got a mag 12 and i dont hear a thing

crumbletop
01/30/2007, 09:26 PM
I'd go with something like an eheim 1250. As long as it isn't bumping up against the glass of the sump, it is _super_ quiet (I put some rubber feet on the bottom of mine).