PDA

View Full Version : Mogul Base, Ground Wire, HELP!

Shawnts106
01/30/2007, 06:56 PM
I just got my Lumenarc MINI reflector and Im trying to figure out how to wire it...

Obveously White goes to White and Black goes to black.. but the Mogul base does not have a Ground wire comming from it...

I have taken the Base and Socket apart so I have the base in one hand and the socket adapter for the reflector itself in another...

The Mogul base has 2 screws, to each screw there is a colored wire.. white and black..

There is a third screw, actually a nut.. with nothing on it...

If I look inside the base, the empty screw on the back is tied into one of the Neg/Pos scres via the metal inside the base...

Is this where the ground wire goes?

Some help would be nice

thanks.

Shawnts106
01/30/2007, 07:35 PM
Bump

Shawnts106
01/30/2007, 08:43 PM
Bump again, come on people!

rob020880
01/30/2007, 08:53 PM
Here you go I think this is what you need, just scroll down...

http://www.cvreefers.org/showthread.php?t=2926&page=2

Shawnts106
01/30/2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks...

but! My mogul base doesnt have a ground wire.. just the ballast does...

So what do I do with the green ground wire?

rob020880
01/30/2007, 08:59 PM
Im no expert and was just looking at info on these reflectors but to me it sounds very strange that there is no ground. Where did you buy yours? The guy on the site got them at Pacific Garden Supply .

drstupid
01/30/2007, 09:02 PM
you can attach the ground to the reflector, under the assumption if the socket falls in the water it'll be attached to the fixture. i just ran a ground wire back down from where mine are wired on the bar they hang from, wired to an outlet ground, under the assumption if my fixtures fall in it's because the whole bar they're mounted on fell. you could ground to a cold water pipe too, all you need to do is complete the ground loop so your GFI gets a chance to do its thing. this is all assuming your outlet is GFI protected, of course.

Shawnts106
01/30/2007, 09:07 PM
Cool, So I can just stick the green ground wire on somthing metal on the reflector.. like... on the mounting bracket somewhere?

Shawnts106
01/30/2007, 09:32 PM
Thanks everyone!!!

I attached the ground wire to the metal mounting base for the MINI...

I turned it on and ran away.. like a wild chicken.. and it works :)

Its an older hamilton ballast really, made me VERYYYY nervis when I checked the first time, it made a loudish bumpy noise... and I turned it off, checked the wiring, turned it back on and the bulb was very dim... so I turned it off again, because I was scared.. like a chicken! haha..

Then I just braved it all and took it outside on the back porch, plugged it in and ran like a bat outa' HECK...

its fine... works great, a tiny quite hum is all I hear from the mag ballast, and the bulb is bright as ever... its a Hamilton true 10K..

very white!!!

thanks everyone... :)

THE CHICKEN HAS COME BACK HOME..
I find it funny that I was so scared of this particular bulb/ballast.. At work I have wired up countless ballasts... never had a problem...

lol, a good funny story to remember!