PDA

View Full Version : users of BOTH Vortech and Stream pumps, please respond

johns
01/30/2007, 06:58 PM
This thread is meant for people who have used BOTH Icecap Vortech and Tunze Stream pumps.

I am considering both for a new 180G setup that is in the works. There are pros and cons for both. I know the biggest con for the Vortech might be the lack of controllability, but I have to assume that will come reasonably soon. Also heard issues with noise (a pet peeve of mine) and heat (did someone say fire?) or is this all hype. On the other hand the Tunzes are pretty much silent, but are going to take up some extra real estate in the tank. Also, I'm not a big fan of their magnet mount. I find it kind of clumsy for such an expensive pump.

I'd just like to know if you've used both and have comments. Have you switched to Vortechs and then back to Streams, and why? Have you switched out your Streams and gone Vortech all the way with great results? Comments?

johns
01/31/2007, 09:35 AM
bump

water hazzard
01/31/2007, 11:05 AM
Cant comment on tunze, My overflow is noisier than my vortech.Love this product.Ive only had it about a month and it works as well as advertised. Ive also seen other bad comments online but have had no problems yet.

King-Kong
01/31/2007, 11:18 AM
I didnt have tunzes, but i had 4x Seios in my tank.

My profile line now shows 3x Vortechs. I dumped my stream-based Seios. Too bulky, too hot, not enough flow, and never worked (though there have been plenty of issues related to Vortechs, but Ecotech has worked hard on redesigning aspects of the pump to work as they should).

The wired controller for the vortechs should be out in a couple months max.. the WIRELESS controller in maybe 6-8 months (currently, units being purchased are NOT compatible w/ the wireless unit and will need to be sent in to Icecap/Ecotech to be exchanged for a fee).

As for heat: if the pump gets too hot, it shuts itself off. It is smart like that.

johns
01/31/2007, 11:52 AM
King-Kong:

Do you know much about the planned controllers. Wired vs Wireless - number of pumps controlled for each and any different functions?

Do your pumps sometimes have to turn themselves off because they are too hot? I'm mean it is good they have that feature, but should it really happen? Then you are without flow for a while, right?

ErikS
01/31/2007, 12:08 PM
Also, I'm not a big fan of their magnet mount. I find it kind of clumsy for such an expensive pump.
Huh? If you think that's clumsy you should see the standard mount :lol: Damn thing is like a kids erector set. In practice the mag mount is pretty nice. Goes anywhere & the pump connector just slips in.

They are honking pumps.

dkh0331
01/31/2007, 12:15 PM
I just hid my streams in the deco rocks.

King-Kong
01/31/2007, 12:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9124096#post9124096 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by johns
King-Kong:

Do you know much about the planned controllers. Wired vs Wireless - number of pumps controlled for each and any different functions?

I am not positive on the following:
The wired controller will be able to control only ONE pump; i dont know how it will be sold, but it will be available as part of an upgrade plan for existing Vortech users (this upgrade plan involves you sending in your existing vortechs, they upgrade the controller for wireless support, send you a single controller, and extend your warranty for 1 year..I think its around $50)

Do your pumps sometimes have to turn themselves off because they are too hot? I'm mean it is good they have that feature, but should it really happen? Then you are without flow for a while, right?

My pumps have never shut off because of heat. The pumps just have a lot of protection "in case".

Visit the Icecap subforum here at RC and read up. Ecotech has been experiencing manuf. and quality control issues with the vortechs, but are working hard to change the pump and stop these problems. For example, I purchased my first vortech in august of 06; it had some issues. Ecotech/Icecap sent me out replacement parts, free, very quickly. I recently purchased two more vortechs and found that they had changed many minor aspects of the pumps, making them far better than the first one I bought back August.

This incremental continuous improvement is a staple of good operations management, and Ecotech is working hard to improve the products. It can be rough on some owners, however, to dish out $345 and not have a perfect product. With that said, my 2 most recently purchased Vortechs have worked great.

I also bought a Vortech Battery Backup to go with them, so if the power goes out, the battery backup automatically keeps the pump(s) running. Can run 1 @ 50% power (1500gph) for 30 hours.

GSMguy
01/31/2007, 12:34 PM
i saw a video of two vorechs running off a wireless remote at a trade show and they were making beutifull wave motion and looks like they will have some great features

johns
01/31/2007, 12:51 PM
What sort of sound are they making? How much noise?

Have any users out there switched BACK to Tunze due to issues with the Vortechs?

hahnmeister
01/31/2007, 02:01 PM
They shold re-design the Tunzes to look like the new nano-streams. Sure, they would be a little bigger, but the ball-strainer just isnt as much of an eye-sore, and its mounting/potitioning is loads better.

GSMguy
01/31/2007, 03:43 PM
hahn that would be gold for them they will have to do that eventually with all of the competition

BryanJ
01/31/2007, 09:21 PM
As a stream owner I can tell you they are nearly silent and consume very little electricity. Noise is obviously important to you so IMO your choice is a no brainer. Get the time tested Tunze as nothing compares to that high gentle flow and nearly silent performance.

hahnmeister
02/01/2007, 12:11 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9126115#post9126115 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GSMguy
hahn that would be gold for them they will have to do that eventually with all of the competition

Yeah, It would be bigger than the nano-streams, but because of the way they design the 'ball-cage', a full size stream would end up much smaller, easier to hide, position, etc. I think Ill go tell tunze that...lol. FWIW, I know they are making revisions to the 6100s and such right now anyways...

johns
02/01/2007, 12:26 AM
As a stream owner I can tell you they are nearly silent and consume very little electricity. Noise is obviously important to you so IMO your choice is a no brainer. Get the time tested Tunze as nothing compares to that high gentle flow and nearly silent performance.

I own a Stream as well, so I know what you say about them being quiet, and they work good. But, I'm trying to remain open to new ideas for this new tank. I like the overall 'look' of the Vortech pumps better but if they are still having all sorts of problems or if they are noisy, I'm not going to bother.

King-Kong
02/01/2007, 07:14 AM
When working like they should, my vortechs are quiet. My overflow/skimmer is louder than they are.

johns
02/01/2007, 10:18 AM
When working like they should, my vortechs are quiet. My overflow/skimmer is louder than they are.

Again, you have some 'qualifiers' in there, which worries me. How much of the time are they not working like they should?

I'm not trying to be difficult. These pumps are still an option from me. But they seem to still be working out some bugs, wouldn't you say?

King-Kong
02/01/2007, 12:16 PM
Yes; these pumps are still being worked on.

Here's how mine have done, in a time line form:

August: Purchased 1 -- did not work right off the bat; contacted Ecotech, instantly responded, and sent out new parts. Worked flawlessly afterwads

January: Purchased 2 -- worked fine. Moved the "August" pump and it began to misbehave. Contact Ecotech, they told me to send it in. They fixed it, and now all 3 work perfectly and quietly.

There is my experience.

Driftwood
02/01/2007, 12:59 PM
I have been dreaming about this pump also. I'm just thinking that until they get out the wireless controller the price is way to much. Once the controller comes out these pumps will be able to do some amazing things.

I just ordered two Seio's...

Dave