PDA

View Full Version : Ballast Placement

rowjimmy
01/30/2007, 08:48 PM
Just curious is it safe to put your MH/CF ballasts under the aquarium stand or should you place them outside the stand? I've read in The Reef Aquarium Vol. 3 that they should be placed seperately in a waterproof enclosure. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of having a fish room (*some day*), so equipment placement is very limited living in an apartment. The best spot for me is under the stand. I guess if i had to I could mount them on the wall and put an enclosure over them, but it wouldn't look so good.

The ballasts in question are a Hamilton duel 250w MH in its own enclosure, and a seperate four 55w CF in its own enclosure.

This is a new tank, and I'm in the start up process. I should mention I will not have a sump in my stand, so that should negate any water and direct salt air issues I hope. My tank is a standard 75 gallon aquarium with a modded Deltec MCE 600 skimmer, a 24" CPR AquaFuge, and temporarily two Hydor Koralia #4's for water movement (I plan to switch to 2 Vortechs when and/if they get the bugs and controller worked out). So my sytem is basically HOB. Do you think I'd have a problem placing the ballasts under the stand?

Thanks for any help or advice.

rowjimmy
01/31/2007, 07:14 PM