PDA

View Full Version : Going to RO/DI

reeformadness
01/30/2007, 09:14 PM
I've ordered a RO/DI unit. I'm excited. My tank has been running a year using britta filtered tap water as top off. I'm sure some bad stuff has built up over time. How should I go about changing the water out? Should I do several 10 gal, 25 gal, etc. changes? One concern is that my rocks almost reach the top of the water so I can't change more than 10% or so without exposing the rock to air...but doing 10% changes would take a long time to get the old water out. Any suggestions? I could concievably lower much of the rock...how much of a water change at a time would be too much to the stability of my system? Are there any other ways?

drummereef
01/30/2007, 09:18 PM
Allowing the rock to be exposed for a couple minutes won't be bad. As long as it stays moist you are fine. I'd do a couple 20-25% changes over the next few weeks.

salty3
01/30/2007, 09:20 PM
If theres not a current prob I would just do regular water changes, and in time it will be all ro.

AZDesertRat
01/30/2007, 09:23 PM
Just stick to your normal schedule if you don't have an apparent problems.

reeformadness
01/30/2007, 09:38 PM
Thanks guys. Well I do have an algae problem. Not the worst. I'm hoping a few extra grazers can take care of it. They alway have, I just lost a bunch to my powerheads before making the switch to mjmods. Do you guys use RO right or is just adding IO sufficient?

AZDesertRat
01/30/2007, 09:40 PM
No buffers or additives are needed.

reeformadness
01/30/2007, 09:57 PM
Thanks, desertrat, now all I have to do is wait on my unit and go buy some more salt.