PDA

View Full Version : Canister vs. Power Filters

Bloke
01/30/2007, 10:58 PM
I use two Penguin 350 power filters for my 55 gallon. Along with two MaxiJet 600s I think I have pretty good flow.

People have argued that canister is the only way to go, but I think they can be more of an issue when it comes to cleaning and maintenance. Others say sump, but they cost WAY too much and I looked into a simple 20g sump made out of an old aquarium, but it wouldn't fit under the stand. A 10g would be the only size I think that would fit, but I don't want to have to worry about overflowing or the price of the pump, plumbing, an overflow box, etc.

Anyway, I wanted to hear what others thought...

Nick A
01/30/2007, 11:26 PM
I believe a lot of people avoid mechanical filtration like sponges to help keep nitrates as low as possible. I too planned about using a canister before, but ended up getting a cpr sump with a skimmer built in because I got it at a in a really good deal.

The only mechanical filtration I currently have in my tank is the sponge for my overflow. If the water gets cloudy I throw in some filter floss for a day and take it out. I haven't tested my water for nitrates after my last water change, but I've had it at 0.5 ppm a couple weeks ago since I put some bio-balls into my sump when I first got it(now removed all of em).

Canisters are good if you want to have less junk in the tank. Its just a bit more work having to open it just to clean it. I have a Ocean Clear on my 300g FW, but all I really do on that is open it, rinse, and then soak in bleach once in a while to clear the pores. I have a grip of bio-filtration on that tank, so I don't need to worry about having the tank cycle again.

Using a sump is the way to go. Just put in some LR... chaeto if you want, and throw in some sort of mech. filtration whenever its needed. They do cost a bit more than running a canister/power filter, but the rewards are that they are very versatile and free up space in your tank.