PDA

View Full Version : skimmeress..

burt
01/31/2007, 06:06 AM
I'm thinking of going skimmerles with the ecosystem method,but having trouble finding any info of people with long term success..I want to eventually keep some SPS would this be a good way to go? or should skim,underskim or partly skim?
Has anybody have long term success with this method? Is miracle mud worth the money?

Thanks
Burt.:o

old salty
01/31/2007, 09:28 AM
I had the ecosystem method on my tank for a few months, but have been moving away from it. Nothing ever looked bad, but the skimmer cleared up the water significantly. I plan on leaving the mud in there for another year and then removing all of it. It seems to be a nice medium for pods and worms to flourish, but I highly doubt it's really doing much else for the tank.

Wryknow
01/31/2007, 11:09 AM
A skimmer-less reef tank is certainly possible but it requires careful management and attention to detail. The keys seem to be having a big fuge with lots of macroalgae to absorb nutrients, controlled feedings to reduce nutrient import, and frequent water changes. No one has ever convinced me that you need insanely expensive mud to do any of these things.

burt
01/31/2007, 11:45 AM
could anybody say there is difference between miracle mud and mineral mud??apart from the price!!

Wryknow
01/31/2007, 03:40 PM
I've got no idea what, if any, difference there is between the differnet brands of mud and I doubt anyone can tell you for certian since neither company is likely to tell you what (if anything) they add to their brand of mud to make it "special."

burt
01/31/2007, 08:20 PM
has anyone had good results with miracle mud that you know?
with or without skimmer?
thnaks
Burt..

skriz
01/31/2007, 10:25 PM
use an ozonator. those things are amazing. My skimmer does absolutely nothing right now...the ozone keeps my water cystal clear.