PDA

View Full Version : 2 Part Dose and Baked Soda?

ppht
01/31/2007, 07:14 AM
I have a batch of Baked soda already. The 2 part solution doesnt use baking soda I see. I have a PH of 7.9-8.07. Should I bake it or Not?
Also I see in the dosing threads that the dose can just be added at once, I remember threads about the snow storm affect when I was using the Baked Baking soda. I am a little confused as to why this doesnt happen with the 2 part..

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/31/2007, 07:47 AM
My two part recipe uses either baked baking soda or unbaked baking soda, depending on which recipe you use.

In your case, I'd use baked baking soda (Recipe 1).

There are two issues with adding any high pH additives, like Recipe 1 or limewater. When you first add it, there will be some cloudiness that is just the transient precipitation of magnesium hydroxide. It will redissolve and is normal. This is what the looks like for a two part being added:

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium?
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/index.htm

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-07/rhf/images/Figure_3sm.jpg

If you add far to much of any high pH additive, the pH gets too high and calcium carbonate may actually precipitate. That is undesirable. Folks do not usually see a snowstorm unless they add massive amounts of such additives. Have you had it happen?

So normally you can add all of the Recipe 1 at once (you can always add all of Recipe 2 at once), but if the dose required is high enough, you might split the Recipe 1 doses into 2 additions to reduce the pH peak that is attained.

flipteg
01/31/2007, 01:04 PM
if you are doing recipe 1, you should bake the baking soda... without baking it, it is almost impossible to dissolve 1.25 cups of baking soda in a gallon of water... on the other hand, if you over bake it, it dissolves very quickly...

ppht
01/31/2007, 01:44 PM
Okay I understand. So in the dosing it would be small volumes that can be added and not get that affect... In answer to your question no I have not had that happen. I just need to calculate a dose for number 1 , so I guess I already have a mix for the Baking soda just need the Calcium flakes..... Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/31/2007, 01:51 PM
OK, I wouldn't worry too much about snowstorms yet then. :)

ppht
01/31/2007, 02:25 PM
My calcium is about 375 and my ALK was 10.4. I only have a couple of frag SPS and softies. My GSP's dont extend nor does my hammer all that much. Do they respond to ALK and CALC as well?

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/31/2007, 04:27 PM
Not really. They do not deposit calcium carbonate. Coralline algae may be your biggest user.

ronald7410
02/01/2007, 10:40 AM
ok so what does the baking soda actually do, raise ph right? its like a buffer?

well how much bakin soda do you actually add according to the tank size.

and do u just straight up add baking soda with no other additives?

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/01/2007, 01:56 PM
Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate. The bicarbonate will slightly lower tank pH, and supply alkalinity.

If you bake it, you make sodium carbonate. Carbonate will raise tank pH (at least temporarily) and will boost alkalinity.

in either case it is dissolved in water like any commercial buffer, and added to the tank.

Both should be added only to the extent that you need an alkalinity boost.

This calculator shows how much to use:

Reef Chemicals Calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html