PDA

View Full Version : Aqualifter pump

Aquariumist
01/31/2007, 08:48 AM
hey everybody, i have a question about the aqualifter pump.

i want to use one for topoff, hooking it up to the jbj A.T.O. autotopoff controller. i was just curious if this would be the pump to use, and if not, what pump shoud i use in its place?

For reference, the container i am using for topoff will be under my stand, a AGA 46 gallon bowfront, and it will hold 3 gallons of water, and the water level in there will be higher then the water level in my sump, until 2 gallons are drained.

so anybody have any input?

klasiksb
01/31/2007, 09:11 AM
If your aren't drawing or pushing the water more than a foot or 2, it should work fine.

I have 2 aqualifters running one into the other because i'm pulling about 3.5-4 feet and pushing another 2. Working good with a pretty slow stream.

scottfarcuz
01/31/2007, 09:29 AM
If the water level in the res is higher than the sump the top off water will siphon through the pump when its off. Several easy ways to fix it, but it's something to consider when you set the equipment up.

These pumps do work well considering the price.

jag1979
01/31/2007, 09:47 AM
are these pumps self priming? Would these pumps work well for two part additions? just connect to a controller to come on for a couple minutes a day or however long it takes to add the needed amount. I can't believe how cheap they are, I just ordered a couple just for the heck of it, if nothing else I will use them for an easy water change

sjm817
01/31/2007, 10:10 AM
I've been using them for years for ATO. They are great. Yes, if you need to go more than a couple of feet vertical, put two of them in series. Mine pumps Limewater without a complaint. They are self priming, but I have never used them for 2 part.

lactose
01/31/2007, 10:13 AM
The pumps are self priming and part of why i love them. Additionally they will 'pump' air through if they run dry and that help them self prime.

FWIW, I have never had one create a siphon. Don't know if I am lucky or if they don't create siphons due to the way they pump.

The other reason I love the pumps is for COMPLETELY emptying a tank as they will pump water out down to the 'thickness' of the airline tube I use for the intake as long as I lay the intake tube flat on the bottom of the tank I am draining.

oldsaltman
01/31/2007, 10:14 AM
I have several that I use for my ATO, automated water change, etc. I have one that i use to pull a vacume on my overflow tube and keep the air out of it. They work great for me.

Aquariumist
01/31/2007, 10:49 AM
ok, so if my sump is about 13" tall, it would be ok? What do you mean by self priming? Thanks for all the input in such a short time.

lactose
01/31/2007, 10:59 AM
My definition of self priming is put the pump anywhere (above, next to, below) the tank. Take the airline hooked to the inlet and put the end in the water. Do nothing else, turn it on and it will suck up the air in the tube until it is gone and then pump the water out as well.

Aquariumist
01/31/2007, 11:31 AM
SA057, how is your ATO working for you, is the float switch sensitive and reliable?

oldsaltman
01/31/2007, 12:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9123910#post9123910 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aquariumist
SA057, how is your ATO working for you, is the float switch sensitive and reliable?
Yes, my water level stays consistant and never drops. I also use an automated water change and it has really cut my work down. ;)