PDA

View Full Version : Flash/Strobe lights and fish?

Instant Tang
01/31/2007, 01:14 PM
I sure don't like it when someone takes my picture with a flash attached to their camera...I hate the blind spot created in my vision.

I've read plenty about using my camera with a flash to take pictures of the inhabitants of my tank, but I can't but help feel that doing so with a flash unit might stress my fish and other inhabitants.

My clam sure shuts up fast- and my fish all run after the flash goes off too.

What's this groups feelings about using flashes for taking pictures of the inhabitants in your tank?

silkione
01/31/2007, 02:00 PM
Well the light in my tank is perfect..as to where I have never had to use a flash. Sometimes I will forget to set the settings on the camera and the flash will go off on accident. But I have never had any reactions from the fish or anything in the tank.

Blazer88
01/31/2007, 02:04 PM
Depending on the camea, you shouldn't need one if you adjust the shutter speed/ISO/aperture correctly.

Instant Tang
02/01/2007, 10:54 AM
Yes, I'm finding that out (ISO...etc.) I've got a (brand new!) Nikon D80 and I'll be using my Nikkor 60mm Macro lens for most of my shooting, but in order to get a good DOF, I have to really tighten up the aperture, pretty much making it difficult, even with my Metal Halides and actinics to really get high shutter speeds.

Anyone ever use a ring light flash around their lenses or bring in additional lighting for shooting your tank?

Thanks,

Robert

MCary
02/01/2007, 02:44 PM
If your suggesting that it might effect your inhabitant in some kind of emotional capacity, then rest assured. Even the fish, which are the highest forms of life in the tank are incapable of such feelings.

BeanAnimal
02/01/2007, 06:07 PM
Uh oh... here comes the whole "do fish feel pain" debate :D

Even if I was as dumb as a fence post, I am sure having strobe blind me momentarily would not be comfortable or desirable.

Instant Tang
02/01/2007, 06:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9134033#post9134033 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MCary
If your suggesting that it might effect your inhabitant in some kind of emotional capacity, then rest assured. Even the fish, which are the highest forms of life in the tank are incapable of such feelings.

Well, that wasn't exactly what I meant. I don't pretend to know what an animal really feels, but I do think we tend to think that emotions are some kind of "human"-only quality. I don't know if we're so different from animals as we like to think. If you've ever had a dog or a cat or a horse, you KNOW when they're happy, cranky, moody, etc. I think it might be just as possible to extend that possibility to fish.

What I was referring to, was that, surely, it can't FEEL good (not emotions, but VISION) for an animal that has no eye lids to suddenly have a white flash temporarily blind them. Can't this stress out a simple animal?

Thanks,
Robert

lynn53
02/01/2007, 06:43 PM
I think your right Robert. A way to get around it is to set your camera up on your tripod...so they get used to seeing it there. And then feed a bit and flash, feed a bit and flash etc. They'll get so they'll come right out to you in a very short time.