PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running a dart closed loop on a 75 gal?

duhfactor
01/31/2007, 01:51 PM
I'm considering running a sequence dart as a closed loop on a 75 gal tank that will house sps corals. Is anyone doing that? I'm concerned about it being too much flow. The tank is the usual 48" long 18" high all glass aquarium. The tank is down now and easy to drill for it. Any thoughts?

D

ordy1
01/31/2007, 04:58 PM
I'm thinking of running one on a 46 gallon tank. Depending on the type bulkhead fitting you'll be using you will probably have to drill a 3" or 3 3/4" hole. One of the guys on this board drilled two 1.5" holes and then tee'd them to a 2" line that fed the pump.

I'm planning on connecting it to a OCeans Motions current device. You can throttle back on a ball valve connected to the discharge line if the GPM is too much.

Cheers
Ordy

mg426
01/31/2007, 05:14 PM
I use one on my 125 to power a closed loop. It does the job very well. Just use the largest PVC you can and reduce it at the tank outputs.

duhfactor
01/31/2007, 09:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9126807#post9126807 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mg426
I use one on my 125 to power a closed loop. It does the job very well. Just use the largest PVC you can and reduce it at the tank outputs.

What size intake and outputs do you use? Do you run it wide open?

duhfactor
01/31/2007, 09:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9126685#post9126685 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ordy1
I'm thinking of running one on a 46 gallon tank. Depending on the type bulkhead fitting you'll be using you will probably have to drill a 3" or 3 3/4" hole. One of the guys on this board drilled two 1.5" holes and then tee'd them to a 2" line that fed the pump.

I'm planning on connecting it to a OCeans Motions current device. You can throttle back on a ball valve connected to the discharge line if the GPM is too much.

Cheers
Ordy

When do you think you'll have it running? I'm interested in how much you end up throttling it back if any. What drum version will you be using on your oceans motions? Oh, and where do you think you will drill in your tank for the return and intake lines?

d

mg426
01/31/2007, 10:07 PM
2 inch (up and over) intake. 1.5 inch output up to the tank then to a tee (3/4 into a SCWD) then around the top with 8 3/4 outlets.

mg426
01/31/2007, 10:07 PM
The SCWD is going to turn into an Oceans Motions real soon.

atf72
01/31/2007, 10:27 PM
I run a dart on my 60 cube and do not have to throttle it back at all.

2" in and 1.5" out, reduced to 4 - 3/4" loc-line nozzles, and it is not too much flow at all.

duhfactor
02/01/2007, 05:34 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9129434#post9129434 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by atf72
I run a dart on my 60 cube and do not have to throttle it back at all.

2" in and 1.5" out, reduced to 4 - 3/4" loc-line nozzles, and it is not too much flow at all.

Wow, really:) Where did you place the the four 3/4 inch locline nozzles? Over the top, in the back tank wall? Do you have a picture of your set-up? And, did you drill for a bulkhead for the 2" incoming line?

ordy1
02/01/2007, 07:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9128799#post9128799 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by duhfactor
When do you think you'll have it running? I'm interested in how much you end up throttling it back if any. What drum version will you be using on your oceans motions? Oh, and where do you think you will drill in your tank for the return and intake lines?

d

Hey MG426:

Won't have it running soon enough. I spend more time on Ebay looking for deals than I do on my aquarium.

The OM Squirt comes in only one version. It's good for upto 1000 gph so installing a bypass line on a Sequence Dart would be mandatory. Probably bypass back to my 20 gallon sump.

I've drilled two 1" holes, about 4 inches apart and 3" below the top of the tank to serve as supplies to my sump. If I go with a 3" hole, for a 2" bulkhead, I would keep it high up like my 1" bulkheads. Probably closer to one of the corners. I've been told at least 3 to 4 inches from the corner is good. It I spring a leak I don't have to empty the whole tank. Returns will go over the top with 3/4" pvc reduced from the 1.5" discharge on the Dart to the OM Squirt.

Thats the plan anyway.

ordy

ErikS
02/01/2007, 08:16 AM
I have that basic sized tank, only a bit wider & taller - no problems w/ Dart & CL..................but that would depend on livestock. All softies might be too much, LPS less likely, SPS wouldn't even be close.

I use 2x1.5" drains that join & feed the Dart -> 1.5" ouput to an OM 4 way -> 4 1.5" returns reduced at the tank wall to 1" -> good flow, but too much..............in fact SPS tank & I also have the main return & a pair of Tunze 6000's.

Also - my OM 4-way has a "two open drum".

BeanAnimal
02/01/2007, 12:00 PM
Why buy a pump that large and throttle it? Get a smaller pump or get a larger OM.

duhfactor
02/01/2007, 01:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9131181#post9131181 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ErikS
I have that basic sized tank, only a bit wider & taller - no problems w/ Dart & CL..................but that would depend on livestock. All softies might be too much, LPS less likely, SPS wouldn't even be close.

I use 2x1.5" drains that join & feed the Dart -> 1.5" ouput to an OM 4 way -> 4 1.5" returns reduced at the tank wall to 1" -> good flow, but too much..............in fact SPS tank & I also have the main return & a pair of Tunze 6000's.

Also - my OM 4-way has a "two open drum".
So you have 6 holes drilled in the back of your aquarium? Two 1.5 inch bulkheads, and 4 1 inch bulkheads? I'm planning sps as the main inhabitants, but only plan on having the typical overflow to sump, back to display flow being around 600 gph. I wasn't planning on any other power heads in the tank. In your opinion, would there be too much flow in this arrangement?

D

duhfactor
02/01/2007, 01:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9132725#post9132725 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by BeanAnimal
Why buy a pump that large and throttle it? Get a smaller pump or get a larger OM.

I agree, I actually bought the dart used, and in good shape for a future larger tank, but saw someone else consider using it on a 46 gal. I started thinking......and while my 75's down just after a move, it's a good time to upgrade the flow. I never really liked the MJ's in the tank look myself. What is your opinion, seeing that you have a 75 as well?

D

ErikS
02/01/2007, 03:38 PM
Yes, that's correct 6 holes - just as you described.

Flow? Depends - no certanties. In my setup the returns are at the four corners on the back wall. I had the tops pointing along the surface & the lower returns pointing off the wall & forward. Ended up with some dead spots behind the rocks (got filthy back there). Pointed the upper two down along the back wall & added the Tunze = nothing stays to settle.

Same here, only run about 700 through the sump - most of the flow is in the tank.

duhfactor
02/01/2007, 06:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9134440#post9134440 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ErikS
Yes, that's correct 6 holes - just as you described.

Flow? Depends - no certanties. In my setup the returns are at the four corners on the back wall. I had the tops pointing along the surface & the lower returns pointing off the wall & forward. Ended up with some dead spots behind the rocks (got filthy back there). Pointed the upper two down along the back wall & added the Tunze = nothing stays to settle.

Same here, only run about 700 through the sump - most of the flow is in the tank.

O.K., that makes sense now. What do you think about setting up a dual locline out of each of the rear upper corner return holes, pointing one locline toward the front, the other split locline back behind the rocks? I was hoping to avoid any powerheads in the tank...
D