PDA

View Full Version : Protein Skimmer for 210gal

jtemple42000
01/31/2007, 03:11 PM
I have been looking at several protein skimmers for my 210 build that I am working on. This will be my first large aquarium and I am unfamilar with these larger scale protein skimmers. I have looked at AquaC, ETSS, Precision Marine, and so on. I have no idea what to get. Money is a slight issue, but I don't want to cheat myself out of a better performing skimmer. My lfs has suggested the ETSS 900, and didn't have much good to say about any of the others above. But do I really need to spend $600 just for the skimmer?

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Thanks

ErikS
01/31/2007, 03:16 PM
do I really need to spend $600 just for the skimmer?
A skimmer is a crucial piece of the filtration, the heart of the setup so to speak..............You're spending how much to set up this tank?

Just trying to put the price of good skimmers into prespective.

jtemple42000
01/31/2007, 03:23 PM
I understand that. I do not however want my lfs to sell me a $600 dollar skimmer if I don't need it. Its a business, I trust them, but they are set in there ways and what they use. I just want to now if the etss is the best option. I'll spend the money if I have to, but I just what to make sure it is want I need and not just what they want to sell me. I only have about a year into saltwater aquariums, so I just what to make sure I do whats best.

ErikS
01/31/2007, 03:31 PM
Gotcha - it's an expensive hobby, we ALL have to find value/performance lines.

The ETSS is a downdraft skimmer, old tech that works pretty well. Functions by shooting water down a columns over some "bio balls" which makes the bubbles.

IMHO there are better/newer options.

Needle/mesh wheel skimmers perform very well & are easy on the electric bill. They function by sucking in air & using a wheel inside a pump to create the bubbles. Check Euro-reef, ATI (bargain), Deltec ($$$), H&S, Bubble King.

Beckett driven skimmers are relatively inexpensive & perform very well. They shoot water through a small opening, this sucks air into the mix = bubble. Downside is that they require a pressure rated pump to perform best.

Both the beckett & needle/mesh/pin wheel skimmer will generally out perform like sized downdrafts.

Needle/mesh:
ATI Bubble Master 250
Deltec AP851
H&S A200-1260

Becketts:
Trigger Systems Ts500
MyReefCreations
Barr Aquatics

Wryknow
01/31/2007, 03:37 PM
Ths aqua-C 240 and PM bullet-2 are both excellent choices and are right around $400 on marinedepot.com. Of course, with a pump and waste container you're back in the $600 range but I'm not sure if those were included in your quote either. Always be careful when taking hte advise of someone trying to sell you something!

gcarroll
01/31/2007, 03:40 PM
Let me guess, the LFS does not sell the other brands? I bet they do sell ETSS though?
If energy consumption is an issue, go with a needlewheel. There are many skimmers in the $500 range that will worik fine for you. I think ETSS rates that skimmer for a 900 gallon tank. I'm not sure you need a skimmer that big if you don't plan on SPS nor a large bio load.

Most reputable skimmer companies make decent skimmers for a tank your size within your price range. I personally would surf the used equipment forum and get the best skimmer you can that fits in your price range.

jtemple42000
01/31/2007, 03:59 PM
I have read good things about the AquaC 240, and the Precision Marine Bullet 2.

Thanks for the info.

ErikS
01/31/2007, 06:18 PM
If you're going to go beckett (PM-2) take a look at Trigger Systems (sponsor page, Premium Aquatics) - the 300. Or at My ReefCreations (sponsor page). Both are a bit more advanced than the PM & are in the same price range.

ridetheducati
01/31/2007, 08:06 PM
This is a hobby for discretionary funds, use them as you like. You can get a skimmer from $50 to $5000. It is not that critical, always pay yourself first.

rpeeples
01/31/2007, 08:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9128214#post9128214 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ridetheducati
This is a hobby for discretionary funds, use them as you like. You can get a skimmer from $50 to $5000. It is not that critical, always pay yourself first.

Ducati.....did I understand you correctly? A skimmer is not that critical? Or did I interpret your statement incorrectly? Thanks for clarifying.

UCanDoIt
01/31/2007, 11:39 PM
He's just joking! :lol: ridetheducati's philosophy is don't skimp on the most important things in life as life's too short. Same goes for the most important piece of equipment for your marine system. Just look at his system setup and of course, what he likes.

gcarroll
02/01/2007, 12:23 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9129869#post9129869 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by UCanDoIt
Just look at his system setup and of course How? I'm always in for some good pics! :D

gasman059
02/01/2007, 06:42 AM
Both the beckett & needle/mesh/pin wheel skimmer will generally out perform like sized downdrafts
Yes its "old technology" but to be quite honest I've played with becketts and needlewheels and in my experience downdraft still works pretty well. In my current setup I run a etss800 and it works really well, even better IMO than a needelwheel i previously owned(top nocth company)
Skimmers are like pants some are in favor some are not. I wonder why many major lfs and reefers still used them. and keep their major stocks healthy. Jusy my two cents. I'm not bashing becketts and needlewheels all i'm saying is that downdarfts with proper pumps(aside from e-bill) really do what they are supposed to do.:smokin:

rpeeples
02/01/2007, 07:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9129869#post9129869 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by UCanDoIt
He's just joking! :lol: ridetheducati's philosophy is don't skimp on the most important things in life as life's too short. Same goes for the most important piece of equipment for your marine system. Just look at his system setup and of course, what he likes.

Thanks for clarifying......I figured I must have missed something.

rpeeples
02/01/2007, 07:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9125998#post9125998 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ErikS
Gotcha - it's an expensive hobby, we ALL have to find value/performance lines.

The ETSS is a downdraft skimmer, old tech that works pretty well. Functions by shooting water down a columns over some "bio balls" which makes the bubbles.

IMHO there are better/newer options.

Needle/mesh wheel skimmers perform very well & are easy on the electric bill. They function by sucking in air & using a wheel inside a pump to create the bubbles. Check Euro-reef, ATI (bargain), Deltec ($$$), H&S, Bubble King.

Beckett driven skimmers are relatively inexpensive & perform very well. They shoot water through a small opening, this sucks air into the mix = bubble. Downside is that they require a pressure rated pump to perform best.

Both the beckett & needle/mesh/pin wheel skimmer will generally out perform like sized downdrafts.

Needle/mesh:
ATI Bubble Master 250
Deltec AP851
H&S A200-1260

Becketts:
Trigger Systems Ts500
MyReefCreations
Barr Aquatics

the above is a good summary. Thanks E!