PDA

View Full Version : Buying a calcium reactor, need Pro advice

Loggerhead
01/31/2007, 03:31 PM
So the money has been saved and set aside, now the time has come to buy a pretty important piece of gear. I still need some help, there are so many options.

I have a 90 gallon SPS pretty heavily stocked, so I am not needing a huge reactor, but I travel often, and need my wife and kids to look after the settings for 3-4 weeks at a time. I need something that I can move to a slightly larger tank if and when I can, not more than 150 gallons max really. If I need larger, then I could afford a larger calcium reactor. Efficient operation and settings that are relatively easy to manipulate are desirable.

I also need any and all periphials that a device needs. So clue me in if I'm missing anything.

Schuran PICO reactor (lot's of thumbs up on these)

RF Deluxe CO2 Regulator with Solenoid (opinions/ other recommendations?)

CO2 tank (probably pick up a used one somewhere)

Pinpoint pH Monitor w/probe

I get one shot to do this right with my wife (whom is so far very understanding, but this is a lot of bank up front for such a physically small thing, and no, a wedding ring doesn't work with this arguement).

McCrary
01/31/2007, 03:51 PM
I would get a GEO calcium reactor. This CO2 regulator is the best one I have found, http://www.aquariumplants.com/AQUARIUMPLANTS_com_s_Co2_Regulator_The_BEST_p/co2-1.htm

ARNETT
01/31/2007, 04:16 PM
I would get a ph controler and install the prob in the reactor and set it at the ph in the reactor at say 6.5 to 6.9 with ARM in it .and be done. The Milwaukee pH Controller sm122 is a good controller and easy to use for this Its what i use /my ac jr on the tank !
MRC is also good they make many sizes
http://www.myreefcreations.com/caabout.htm
I use a KORALLIN M3-C-3002
It work very good but cost more than other that work just as good!

RobbyG
01/31/2007, 04:18 PM
Korallin 1502 works great on my 90 Gal Oceanic. The package from Marine Depot is not bad and has everything you need.

David Grigor
01/31/2007, 04:39 PM
A properly set up CO2 reactor doesn't need a PH controller for the day to day operation. When dialed in correctly, your bubble count and effluent rate should be consistant 24/7 not being manuplated constantly via a PH controller.

However, a PH controller is a useful piece of equipment for redundancy purposes to turn things off if tank PH gets too low or the regulator malfunctions.

McCrary
01/31/2007, 04:40 PM
I had the Korallin C1502 and it is a good reactor, but GEO calcium reactor is a much better product for a better price. GEO calcium reactors are reverse flow and have a place for the pH probe built into the lid. A controller is a nice thing to have, but not at all necessary if you have the time to consistently test Alkalinity. I will PM you with a nice calculator that will allow you to adjust the drip and bubble rate depending on your alkalinity.

Loggerhead
01/31/2007, 06:34 PM
Geo, Korallin, are there any Schuran owners here? I've heard good things about all of these, the main thing is they need to be stable, rock solid so my wife won't have to worry about it daily.

easttn
01/31/2007, 07:36 PM
Marine Technical Concepts, ProCal1. She can read your the flow rate through the reactor's second chamber via the flow meter, and the pressure on the first. These will both be static and only move if something is getting out of whack. Set your flow, measure pH, and record the setting. There is no need for all the ozone, pH meters and what not. It comes with a very good pump, and well made. Best piece of equipment I ever bought, resale remains high too..JIC.

RobbyG
02/01/2007, 12:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9127955#post9127955 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by easttn
Marine Technical Concepts, ProCal1. She can read your the flow rate through the reactor's second chamber via the flow meter, and the pressure on the first. These will both be static and only move if something is getting out of whack. Set your flow, measure pH, and record the setting. There is no need for all the ozone, pH meters and what not. It comes with a very good pump, and well made. Best piece of equipment I ever bought, resale remains high too..JIC.

Don't you think this is like using a Bazooka to kill a Mosquito? That's a 700 Gal Ca Reactor on a 90 Gal tank!

easttn
02/01/2007, 03:57 PM
So, I don't get your point. I had it on a 180 and loved it. He'll just have to change media less than I did, bout 1 - 2 times a year.

Phyxius
02/01/2007, 04:04 PM
I also went with Geo and the regulator in the link
TurboSnail8898 posted. I ended up buying the 6x12 model from recommendations here on RC and it was a good choice. Found both the reactor and the regulator to be real easy to use and setup. The Geo is really well made and easy to maintain. Liked it so much I bought the GEO Kalk reactor and just got the GEO PO4/Carbon(media)reactor
Plus the regulator has a 3yr warranty on it while most others have 6mth or 1 yr.

SDguy
02/01/2007, 04:13 PM
The only advantage I saw with the Korallin (and the reason I bought it) was the tiny footprint. Some of these other manufacturers just assume you have a dedicated fish room...

The previouis posts are correct. I don't even use my pH controller on my reactor. Just as a monitor.

I bought mine as a package deal from MD, and they even pricematched a lower price. The M3 regulator came with my package.