PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a Very Accurate Phosphate Kit

FSOL
01/31/2007, 03:32 PM
So I've heard Deltec and Hanna mentioned a lot. I want to buy a phosphate kit that measures at the lower side (0 - 1ppm P04) and does it in the highest resolution and accuracy.

I currently use the salifert kit but it jumps from 0 - 0.03ppm and my water looks white on the comparison chart. I could interpret this as 0ppm, but it could also be 0.01 or 0.02.

dcombs44
01/31/2007, 03:36 PM
I've heard good things about LaMotte, but have no experience.

GraviT
01/31/2007, 03:38 PM
The majority of test kits available only measure inorganic phosphates. If your levels are low enough that it's hard to distinguish what color, you're probably in good shape. Problem is that you could have your inorganic phosphates at zero, yet still have algae blooms due to high organic phosphate levels. There aren't many tests for organic phosphate that are affordable, but I'll see of I can dig something up....

Edit: Found it here (http://www.hach.com/hc/search.product.details.invoker/PackagingCode=225001/NewLinkLabel=Phosphate,+Total+Ortho-&frasl%3BMeta-,+Test+Kit,+Model+PO-24,+Color+Disc).

FSOL
01/31/2007, 03:43 PM
So if a test kit shows zero phosphates, it's showing inorganic phosphate level. It's not accounting for organic PO4? Does organic PO4 contribute to algae and browning of certain corals?

I'm somewhat frustrated because the salifert kit shows 0 phosphates yet I still get algae on the glass and on some SPS corals turning brown.

GraviT
01/31/2007, 03:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9126116#post9126116 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by FSOL
So if a test kit shows zero phosphates, it's showing inorganic phosphate level. It's not accounting for organic PO4? Does organic PO4 contribute to algae and browning of certain corals?

I'm somewhat frustrated because the salifert kit shows 0 phosphates yet I still get algae on the glass and on some SPS corals turning brown.

Exactly. Randy talks about it in this article (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/sept2002/chem.htm)