PDA

View Full Version : Recirc vs. non-recirc skimmers

madmax7774
01/31/2007, 04:21 PM
Can someone tell me what it is about a recirc skimmer that justifies doubling the cost of the skimmer? For example:
EuroReef RS180 skimmer is around $475 and the RC180 which is similar size, but a recirc version is $838 I don't understand why it should be almost twice the cost. It certainly doesn't cost twice as much to produce. I suspect that it is because they seem to be very popular right now. But am I missing something here? why the huge price difference? if it's just a matter of efficiency, why not just buy a slightly larger non-recirc version to achieve the same efficiency level and still save several hundred dollars?
:confused: :confused:

David Grigor
01/31/2007, 04:28 PM
If money is an sticking point, just be sure to get a model that uses cast acrylic or pvc materials. This way if you need more performance than the non-recirc. can do, first to the mesh impeller mod, then if still not good enough, then modifiy to a recirc.

All the mods are pretty easily with no special skills required just a couple hours worth of your time and minimal $$ in parts.

engine
01/31/2007, 04:28 PM
good question.........anybody?

Fishbulb2
01/31/2007, 04:36 PM
The recirculating skimmers are much nicer to tune and tweak. You have independent control of things like water flow, air flow, and water through the skimmer. It's difficult to adjust water flow through a non recirculating skimmer for example. That being said, I agree that there is no way to justify the +$400 mark up of a few valves and a couple holes. They are that expensive for only one reason, people will pay for it. Whether or not it's worth it to you is something you'll have to figure out for yourself.
FB

RichConley
01/31/2007, 04:49 PM
because people will pay for it.

theres no other reason.

Jim_S
01/31/2007, 05:02 PM
This topic has been beat to death in numerous threads.

The bottom line is: People will pay the prices asked for "the best" model. You see it with TV's (Sony XBR), Cell phones ($600 for the iphone), cars ($120,000 for a BMW "M6"). and it goes on, and on and on.....

Some won't of course. But some will.

Heck, I'm getting ready to drop like $1200 on some power heads!!! Some POWER HEADS!!! I'm crazy right??? But because they're "the best", and there's nothing out that is as good, it makes me want them even more......

As far as performance goes, I don't think the price increase justifiable. 9 out of 10 times, were just paying for the "bells and whistles"

But these RC skimmers are sick!!!! And if you have the money, go for it :)

Cheers,

Jim

madmax7774
01/31/2007, 05:21 PM
"This topic has been beat to death in numerous threads.."

Well I for one have been reading, and reading, and reading, and No one has yet answered this question with any compelling answer that makes me believe one way or the other. So are they actually better? or is it just the latest Fad....

Jim_S
01/31/2007, 05:34 PM
Well, FWIW, there has been a "couple" of threads in the past covering the differences.

And they're definetly not a fad...

RC skimmers allow more contact time, the option to be run externally, the option to drain feed, and control how much water goes through your skimmer.

Those are the differences.

Is the price mark-up = to the performance increase, IMHO, no.

Are they better, IMHO, and for me, yes. For the reasons I stated above.

Jim

madmax7774
01/31/2007, 05:42 PM
ok, fair enough, let me ask it from this direction. First would a recirc allow me to get away with less frequent water changes due to increased skimming efficiency?

Roland Jacques
01/31/2007, 05:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9126864#post9126864 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by madmax7774
"This topic has been beat to death in numerous threads.."

Well I for one have been reading, and reading, and reading, and No one has yet answered this question with any compelling answer that makes me believe one way or the other. So are they actually better? or is it just the latest Fad....

Someone give him a link because its true this subject has been covered to great lengths.
me personally would pay 15-25% max more for a recirc NW model skimmer.

I will add that recirc becketts would even more $$ from me than recirc NW.

You can recirc most insump NW skimmers yourself and save some money

keyhole
01/31/2007, 05:54 PM
Water changes are to replace the trace elements that are used up by the coral in your tank.

David Grigor
01/31/2007, 05:54 PM
I don't care what skimmer you have or looking to get or how effecient is it, I would never use the argument of less frequent water changes as a means to justify a skimmer or any other piece of equipment. Water changes are an important part of a regular maintenance and is invaluable IMO even with the best equipment available.

viggen
01/31/2007, 06:46 PM
I also do not understand the huge price increase

they use the same body
they use the same pump

the RC does require 2 additional holes to be drilled
also requires slightly different plumbing of the pump itself

Thus, if you are handy you can drill & modify the pumps plumbing yourself to fit the skimmer onto the side of the body. ER as well as several other skimmer manufacturers mount them up on the body where the body is holding the weight. Some other I beleive lesser skimmer manufacturers (cheaper materials) rest the pump on the ground & plumb from there, you could easily do that if you want.

Someone mentioned meshwheel, does it really help that much?

sjm817
01/31/2007, 06:51 PM
Minor point if you are referring to certain Euro-Reef models. The RC180 and RC250 use Eheim pumps. The RS180 and RS250 use Gen-X pumps. The Gen-X on the RC180 has ~ the same LPH as the Eheim, the pump on the RS250 is a bit stronger than the Eheim. The Eheim pumps are much quieter that the Gen-X pumps, which may be very important in your choice of skimmers.

fishaholic911
01/31/2007, 06:58 PM
All I can say is I never got nog like this from a non-recirc

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e337/forest321/MVC-014F-3.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e337/forest321/MVC-016F-2.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e337/forest321/MVC-017F-2.jpg

sjm817
01/31/2007, 07:10 PM
My non recirc seems to work ok

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a370/Cheerleader555240/DSC_1032.jpg