PDA

View Full Version : dosing sugar thread?

kingfisher62
01/31/2007, 04:38 PM
The other day I saw a thread about dosing sugar to lower nitrates. Now I can't find it and the search engine is disabled right now.
Does anyone where I could find that thread?

israelnajar
01/31/2007, 04:42 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=288714

kingfisher62
02/01/2007, 07:13 AM
israelnajar, Thanks for finding that thread. I still don't know if I want to try this.
Have you tried this method before?

t11t5
02/01/2007, 08:50 AM
I tried it on a 37g tank. My nitrates were 65, after 9 days they were down to 30. I have 3 damsels and a pencil urchin in the tank. These are my test subjects. I also read the above mentioned thread and I decided to do my own experimenting with the sugar adding. Everything looks healthy and eats great. I have had no problems with anything.
I am not recomending the idea, I am just stating what I am trying. There is no scientific info about the long term affect. Maybe I will come up with something, who knows....

sullyfish
02/01/2007, 09:02 AM
The more important question is why are the nitrates high? I would say fix the problem, dont cause more trouble with a risky experiment

Rays
02/01/2007, 09:24 AM
I tried it, and it drove my PH into the ground, I got as low as
7.6 :eek: I went over to the chemistry board and Randy said dosing could significantly lower the PH. I've stopped dosing and am dripping kalk, I'm finally up to 8.1.

kingfisher62
02/01/2007, 09:41 AM
my trates are usually between 10 to 20 ppm . five months ago they were at about 80 . So i must be on the right track! I could live with it at the current rate because that tank is a FOWLR and looks great. I have one softball size rock that is covered with hair algae but the rest of the tank is very clean with the exception of a few bubble algae.The only reason I don't clean that one rock is my tomato clown is now smittin with it and is hosting it like it was an anemone! plus it is a good place for pods since i don't have a refugium!
Currently trying to lower my phosphates and what i read in that thread it could screw up that some more!
sounds like the nitrates are not actually removed but locked up some where else in your system!