PDA

View Full Version : Reactors

Jims
01/31/2007, 05:04 PM
Hi all
Have been looking around for information on nitrate and calcium reactors.
Can someone fill me in on some basic priciples as thier seems to be a lack of information on exactly what befits having a nitrate reactor gives an aquruim keeper?
Obvoiusly the nirate levels will be kept lower but does it mean that less water changes have to be performed?
Also what are the risks of the reactor becoming anoxic?
Also has anyone got any views on the Aqumedic 400 reactors Calcium And Nirate(sulphur)?
Calcium reactors will control PH but can a calcuim reactor be used instead of a kalkstirer in a evaporation refill system ?

Charlie Davidson
01/31/2007, 05:45 PM
Bump.... sussex? Va?

Charlie Davidson
01/31/2007, 05:53 PM
BTW, IMHO, a cal.rx does not control PH, it lowers it. A Kalk RX rasies it. nitrate can be controlled by keeping tank and filter blocks clean.. proper flow .. in conjucton with a good skimmer.
Go with kalk rx first....

Jims
02/01/2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks that makes it clearer why do manufacturers not state exactly what the unit does rather then blinding with science.
I surppose then a nirate rx is really only for heavily stocked aquruims. Anyhow yeah so sounds like I need to get into kalk rx to keep my corals. And perhaes get the other two just as a precuation.

Oh yeah sussex in UK not US. I live in southern england in a village called lindfield.

Charlie Davidson
02/01/2007, 02:38 PM
Oh yeh, that little Island my kin came from. :D
Spend some time, doing some reading here (on reef central) . it is well worth the effort