PDA

View Full Version : how to get skimmer working right

dafunk5446
01/31/2007, 05:05 PM
Hello, I have never used a skimmer before and my friend gave me a seaclone, I know, I know, I should have just thrown it away. But I figured it would be better than nothing. Anyway threw a limewood airstone in it and its foaming up really good. My question is, how much foam and at what rate, should it flow into the cup? Should the cup fill with water and foam just on top, or should foam only be spilling into the cup? If you have pics of how yours looks in operation it would help. Also how can I stop the micro bubbles that keep flowing into the tank?

littlemannin
01/31/2007, 05:58 PM
The tube going into the cup should have foam in it. The cup will eventually fill with a green gunky water. I found mine works better with a clean cup, so clean it daily if possible. Just pull the collection cup off and scrub the inside of the tube and the inside of the cup the flip it over and clean the bottom to. I also found if you cut about 1/2 inch off the top of the tube in the collection cup it seems to work a little better. And buy the way... You are correct about it being better than nothing... especially for free!