PDA

View Full Version : Should I get a new skimmer to go with my new sump?

bph0013
01/31/2007, 05:36 PM
I am considering getting a better skimmer since I am putting in a sump into my existing system. The sump is 24 x 12 x 16. I'm planning on putting the skimmer in the drain section before my refugium. Right now I have a CPR BakPak 2RR, which is okay but is loud and spits out microbubbles off and on. Would you guys upgrade? My total water volume will be roughly 60 gallons.

I have been looking at the smaller octopus skimmers or maybe an aqua c urchin. I have read some average to bad reviews about the aqua c on reef central and nothing but good about the Octopuses (I was thinking about getting an the NW-150). I need some advice. Will I see that much of an improvement in skimming but getting a new skimmer or should I stick with BakPak. Thanks in advance for suggestions.

bph0013
01/31/2007, 05:54 PM
bump

pjf
01/31/2007, 05:57 PM
Once you have a sump, you can get rid of your hang-on back (HOB) skimmer. Not all HOB skimmers will do well in a sump because:
• The sump water level is usually lower and changes the pressure used to generate foam.
• If you have to extend the tube and lower the pump, the pressure used to generate foam drops even more.

Because the sump skimmer market is more competitive, the average sump skimmer is better than the average HOB skimmer. For example, my AquaC Remora with upgraded MJ1200 pump generated a half cup of skim every two weeks (Scroll to bottom of http://www.proteinskimmer.com/products/Remora.htm). My Tunze 9010 generates a full cup of skim daily from the same sump.

bph0013
01/31/2007, 06:11 PM
that makes a lot of sense. Does anyone know if the Aqua C Urchin is a good unit? Right now the octopus is looking good to me.

pjf
01/31/2007, 06:20 PM
The venturi-driven Tunze 9010 is the only sump skimmer that I have used.

The latest hype involves "thread-wheel" or "mesh-wheel" technology. If I was in the market for another sump skimmer, I would take a closer look at the newer technology.

Make sure you find out the required sump water level range for your skimmer. Otherwise, you may have to build a platform for your skimmer or change the water level. (Not a big deal.)

EDIT:

If you are a DIY'er or strapped for cash, I've heard of aquarists who have taken their HOB skimmer, lowered the pump to the bottom of the sump, upgraded the pump to something twice as powerful, and got it to work. Maybe someone has done that with a BakPak and can recommend a pump. Watch out for noise, vibration & water heating. Good luck!

bph0013
01/31/2007, 07:59 PM
Thanks for advice Pjf, has anyone had experience with aqua c urchin?

bph0013
02/01/2007, 01:15 AM
bump

UCanDoIt
02/01/2007, 02:16 AM
I would pass on the AquaC if I were you... exactly what you've research, they have mixed reviews because of inconsistent manufacturing process. 2 exact AquaC skimmers could perform differently. I've experienced that.

As for Octopus skimmer, just stay away from the RPS1000, which is the smallest recirculating Octopus skimmer. I saw a side by side evaluation on this skimmer next to 2 others and it just doesn't perform well. Don't know anything about the bigger models, but just don't go with the smallest recirc.

Tunze are small & compact and I've heard nothing bad about them... and yeah, get rid of the HOB skimmer.

mg426
02/01/2007, 02:38 AM
I have never owned a TUNZE skimmer, I have also never heard anything bad about them either.