PDA

View Full Version : Pair of ocellaris - behavior question

craftedpacket
01/31/2007, 05:40 PM
I have a pair of ocellaris clowns...just recently purchased. Sometimes one swims up to the one like its going to kiss it or something and the other one makes this shuddering movement...kind of like a dog shaking off water...

Anyone ever seen this before?

davocean
01/31/2007, 07:33 PM
Yeah, they're sorting out who's going to be the dude, and who's going to be the chick!

craftedpacket
01/31/2007, 07:37 PM
haha thats great. I hope they decide that soon. I also have a large green BTA that is doing very well. He is big and open all the time and loves the pieces of silversides.

Is there any way to try and entice the clowns to explore the bta? It seems the clowns mostly stay in the front of the tank in the upper portions. My bta is near the bottom. Or is this something that just comes with time? I know its possible it wont happen at all, just trying to increase the chances. Thanks in advance!

davocean
01/31/2007, 08:27 PM
Occs are goofy, they may prefer a powerhead to your nem!
I had a pair of occs for a year that never went to my nem until I added a maroon(b4 I knew better) that seemed to draw them in.
All 3 were in there at one time, then the maroon matured and it was war(lesson learned, NO MIXING CLOWNS!)
You may get lucky though as some have.
Good luck

DaBenzsta08
01/31/2007, 09:16 PM
well my osc. seemed to only live in the top right corner of my tank for the first 4 months of the tank being up and running and for 3 of those months i had a BTA on the bottom left mostly. Randomly going into the 4th month with both in my clown was in the exploring mood took a long look at my hammer swam into it a little then saw the anem. and just went in and now loves it and is currently hosting.... that was a pain staking 4 months for me!!!!! I thought it would never happen. Moral of the story is to just give it time you never know!

craftedpacket
01/31/2007, 09:19 PM
ya they havent done any exploring. Just swimming back and forth along the glass in the front of the tank. They are using the powerheads as treadmills at the moment. 4 months is a while to wait but I am sure its worth it.

DaBenzsta08
02/01/2007, 04:03 PM
its well worth it. There is hope! They will find it some day..

dreckis
02/01/2007, 04:13 PM
its odd too for me.

I have 2 percs and just bought a big purple clownfish anem absolutly beautiful.

I put it in the tank within 5 seconds both ran to it and started to have fun!

http://img99.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf0381gp4.jpg

craftedpacket
02/01/2007, 04:31 PM
Thats not fair. What type of anenome? Carpet?

craftedpacket
02/01/2007, 04:32 PM
Nevermind I just saw the pic. Is that a long tipped? Very good looking one. Where did you get it?

seaduck
02/01/2007, 04:58 PM
it looks like a magnifica/ritteri

dreckis
02/02/2007, 11:37 AM
I bought it about 2 weeks ago from some VERY small LFS in surrey, British columbia canada :P picked it up for 20 dollars! hes HUGE! and very good looking :P

GSMguy
02/02/2007, 11:39 AM
that is an awsome find the magnifica needs high light and pristine water that is what nemo and his "father" lived in i think

dreckis
02/02/2007, 11:43 AM
right now running running a 250 HQI metal hallide he seems happy!

doing 20% water changes weekly to ensure he is happy :P

dreckis
02/02/2007, 11:46 AM
i cant believe the price i got it for. some one told me they easily go for 60+ dollars? is this true?

craftedpacket
02/02/2007, 11:46 AM
Very cool find. I built a nice platform for my BTA when I got him. Placed him on it and he decided to move down and attach under the platform. So he sits horizontal in a little crevice. He is always open and looks good...but dont know if my clowns are ever going to find it.