View Full Version : Leveling tank on stand ?

01/31/2007, 06:20 PM
The stand that came w/ my tank is off in 1 corner about 3/16" where the tank sits (top ) . 2 ideas I had to level the tank on the stand are: 1-put shims under tank to level. or 2-place a 1/2" board on top & shim the board.
Any input greatly appreciated,

01/31/2007, 06:47 PM
I know several people who've used 1/4" foal insulation (I think its pink) to level their tanks. It would be more stable than shims.

01/31/2007, 06:48 PM
sorry...foam insulation

01/31/2007, 06:59 PM
Is a frameless tank? If so you can use the foam I think. If it's a framed tank, never shim the tank, always shim the stand. Framed tanks are built so the frame carries the wieght, if shimmed you can create pressure points and the tank can fail.

01/31/2007, 07:07 PM
The tank is framed. But it is the TOP of the stand that is off in one corner.
lak- I figured you meant foam.lol
I was afraid of pressure points. I may just put a 1/2" board down & shim that.
Thank you

02/13/2007, 06:18 AM
I think your add a a board and shim the board is your best bet. I personally would try to return the stand, It's obviously a manufacturing defect.

02/14/2007, 11:16 PM
I built my own stand for my in wall. It was perfectly dimensioned. All sides were equal height. Then I brought it in an placed it on the concrete floor. It was off around 3/16" about the same as you. I had neglected to check if the floor was level. It was concrete foundation. It was supposed to be level! Well you live and learn.

The stand had a lip around it so I bought some play sand and spread it on the top of the stand inside the lip until it was close to level. Then I added 1/2" styrofoam on top of that and then placed my acrylic tank on top of that. The sand leveled out the top nicely. It was a cheap solution that wouldn't have any trouble handling the weight and is somewhat auto leveling.

Shimming can lead to trouble too since the bottom potentially supports a lot of weight if you have a decent sized sump in there. There are better and worse ways of shimming. It will depend on the stand.

02/15/2007, 12:13 AM
As other have mentioned, you should never shim under a tank to level it.

Is there a lip around the area where the tank sits? If you turn the tank 180 degrees is the gap in the same spot or does it follow that corner of the tank?

There is some good reasonong NOT to use foam under a plastic framed tank. We can certainly discuss the pros an cons, but first we need to figure out exactly what is wrong with the stand or tank.

Does the tank rock back and forth? How about the stand? Is it possible that that corner of the stand is slight low or the stand is slightly twisted due to an uneven floor?