PDA

View Full Version : Power Outage Help!!!

MJD 1
01/31/2007, 07:41 PM
I am in the process of plumbing my AGA 90g with the standard megaflow. I am wondering does anyone know how much water goes into the sump during an outage. In other words how much water in terms of gallons leaves the display and drains into the sump.

Any help is extremely appreciated, I dont want my floor flooded!!!

Thanks,

MJD

Reeses
01/31/2007, 08:16 PM
Let me see if I can explain this without it getting really confusing.
:)
What will cause a back flow from your aquarium is your output pipe coming from your sump, not your overflow. Your overflow will stop taking in water when your return pump stops pumping. Your overflow should stay "locked" with non-moving water so when the power comes back on, it will just start right back up again. You need to drill a hole just under the waterline of your output pipe to break the suction and stop the siphon that will drain your aquarium. After you have done that, you need to adjust your water level in the return area of your sump to accommodate the tippy top layer of water from your tank (to the drilled hole under your waterline) and the amount that's currently in your pipes. It takes a bit of tinkering, but it's really important so you don't get a wet floor.

See here:
http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

I hope this helps.