PDA

View Full Version : setting up an octopus skimmer

boarderguy64
01/31/2007, 07:41 PM
hey folks. well my octopus protein skimmer just showed up http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=750 and i have a few questions in regards to setting it up.

the piece that has the airline tubing attached was not clearly labeled nor explained as to where it attaches. i have in attached to the pumps intake and seem to be getting a few bubbles produced, but not many.

do these skimmers take some time to break in like most others?

as far as adjusting the water output, it just seems like there is a tube where the water is released. do i need to adjust it height?

im sure i'll have more questions, these are just the ones that seem to be the biggest issues.

thanks in advance

boarderguy64
01/31/2007, 08:32 PM
anyone?

harday
01/31/2007, 09:21 PM
borderguy - I just set up a new NW 150. I had the same issues as the instructions, or should I say drawing, was not helpful. I was particularly confused about the hard grey plastic piece with the airline tubing attached. Not only where there no instructions for it, but it looked very different than anyone else's pictures on here (there is a LONG octopus thread which is full of information, and I even posted a question on this which will be on one of the last few pages). Anyways, I just screwed that piece to the pump intake - with no o ring or washer of any kind which from what I could tell, would block the air intake completely. I have mine running in the sump right now with just freshwater for testing. I have pretty big bubbles, and not as many as I expected. Once I have saltwater in there and something for it to skim, and it's broken in, I expect this to change. We'll see. The black output tube on the skimmer is for adjusting the water level in the skimmer. Just push it down or pull it up to get the water level where you want it in the skimmer. I think if you get water level up to the skinny neck of the skimmer, let it run for a week or two, and adjust from there, you'll figure out to tweak it for best results. I'm new at this too, but I hope this helps you.

Abengochea
01/31/2007, 11:59 PM
harday, u are absolutely correct. the rubber washer that comes with these pumps have a tendency of being a little big. I just took mine off since its an insump model and Im not worried about leaks. The recirc out of sump skimmers just have to notch the portion of the rubber washer and what people do is use a little glue to hold it in place so it wont cover the hole. Another option is to find an o-ring and it shouldnt block the hole of the venturi.

harday
02/01/2007, 10:04 PM
glad to hear it. I think I did it right. How hard would it be to include real instructions with these things?

scholl
02/22/2007, 08:03 PM
Hello,

just set up my 150 I bought myself for X-mas. Seems to be skimming quite well only after 24 hrs.

What height are you looking to have the bubbles at? The bubbles in mine are running right up to the top of the cylinder, I guess you call that wet skimming.

What's the optimum height?

thanks for any input!