PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get tank up and running again

Griff1324
01/31/2007, 08:26 PM
I had to take down my take awhile back. Therefore, all my rock and sand is "dead". I already have all the sand and rock I need, but I need to bring it back to life.

What is the quickest way to get this tank up and running again? Should I buy a bag of Cheato to get some critters? Should I buy some live sand from someone on here or from the pet store? Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

zoomfish1
01/31/2007, 08:36 PM
Easiest way to re-seed the rock would be from someone elses tank. I would ditch the sand though. I doubt that this process will be "fast" though.

I wouldn't buy Live Sand. After packaging, setting on store shelves, etc....most of that live sand is now dead bacteria.

drummereef
01/31/2007, 09:16 PM
Just use your rock as base rock, seed it with a couple new live pieces and use new sand. Some will probably say it's cool to rinse and use the old sand, but I would want a new 'clean' sandbed to start out. You can also seed the sandbed with a few cups of sand from a fellow reefer's tank.

Griff1324
01/31/2007, 09:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9128924#post9128924 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by drummereef
Just use your rock as base rock, seed it with a couple new live pieces and use new sand. Some will probably say it's cool to rinse and use the old sand, but I would want a new 'clean' sandbed to start out. You can also seed the sandbed with a few cups of sand from a fellow reefer's tank.

If I am using the old rock what is wrong with using the old sand?

Thanks,

Chris

swjim
01/31/2007, 10:15 PM
I'm also in the don't use the old sand camp. It likely has old detritus and possibly residual phosphates left in it. Replacing it would be a relatively inexpensive piece of mind. The rock could hold some of these things as well, but it's more expensive to replace. JMO

Good luck!

fish 511
01/31/2007, 11:08 PM
Imo, I would keep the rock and ditch the sand. You can go to your local hardware store and get sand for really cheap...HTH

drummereef
01/31/2007, 11:22 PM
Like swjim said, I would rather use new clean sand then one laden with dead bacteria etc... Lots of excess crud introduced into the new system.