PDA

View Full Version : Eheim 1262 vs Ocean Runner 3500

pt96
01/31/2007, 10:25 PM
Hey all.
I keep going back and forth on which sub return pump for my 150 gallon tank. Both are rated about the same gph which will give me about 750 gph at 5 feet of head, right at 5x turnover thru sump.

Eheim costs twice as much but has a strong reputation for long, reliable service. Ocean Runner is cheaper and also uses slightly less power to operate. I understand both are fairly quiet and do not transfer much heat. Does OR offer the same long term reliability as the Eheim? It seems there are many more Eheim users than OR? Is there a reason for this or is this just the strength of the brand name?

I dont mind spending 60 bucks more if it gets me a more reliable unit. Am I missing any other key factors?

Thanks for help
PT

sjm817
01/31/2007, 10:34 PM
People who have used both say the Eheim has quite a bit more actual flow and is a better quality pump. Its up to you whether that is worth the extra cost.

AZDesertRat
02/01/2007, 09:16 AM
I have three Oceanrunners that have been in constant use for over 3 years now and are still going strong. One was even used when I bought it so I don't know how many hours it actually has on it.

ErikS
02/01/2007, 10:27 AM
I've owned both pumps, my .02 -

The OR is a good pump, far better than say a MAG. It is not however as good as the Eheim. I used the OR for about 4 years. It required some cleaning, about every 6-8 months or you'd have re-start issues. It was quiet & produced very good flow, even through a SCWD. As I said I used it for 4 years & then passed it along - it survived another year before it finally died.

The Eheim is just better. It's smaller & requires virtually no maintainence. I've been lazy & haven't cleaned it for over a year, it goes through at least 1 restart a day (for feeding) = zero failures. The 1262 also produces quite a bit more flow, I'd guesstimate about 100-200gph more after headloss. Not uncommon for an Eheim to run for a decade, I've heard of many that go a couple of decades.

I doubt you'd be sorry with either pump. If it came down to a choice I'd always go with the Eheim, but if it were a budget concern the OR will perform admirably.

Tidbits - the review of the OR on the RC reviews section is mine (I had one when it was "OR....who?") & I stand by it. The OR is a honking pump, fairly large for the gph - not generally an issue. Also, Vincent @ OceanEncounter assures me he's had quite a few customers run them externally without an issue.