PDA

View Full Version : Closed loop intake

OO7
01/31/2007, 11:13 PM
I'm curious . . . . of those who run a CL, where is your intake located?

I had originally wanted to place mine in the dead center of the back glass, under the overflow box, but then read about the possibility that if anything in the CL plumbing fails, the tank will basically drain to that point . . . . not a very comforting thought!

Abengochea
01/31/2007, 11:49 PM
that is true, but u also dont want it too high where it would suck in air and kick bubbles into the tank

Pez Vela
02/01/2007, 12:13 AM
I am a gambler. I have two 1.5" bulkheads drilled through the bottom of my tank which lead to my Dart. Usually, if bulkheads leak, it is slow dripping which allows you to repair them with a twit of the nut or silicone.

But, I am at risk and I know it....

Michael Mota
02/01/2007, 01:31 AM
I also put my closed loop intake low on the back glass two 1" bulkheads which feed into 1.5" PVC to the dart pump. You can check it out in my thread

OO7
02/01/2007, 11:40 AM
It sounds like a lot of people have their intake lower in the tank . . . . I think I'll stick with my original idea which will be to place the intake about mid-tank on the back glass.

Lincutis
02/01/2007, 11:48 AM
someone please enlighten me. If you have a true closed loop, where would water drain to? The only availible space is in the piping and it should already be full of water. Am I missing something?

Pez Vela
02/01/2007, 11:52 AM
Lincutis,

Let's assume the pipe breaks or cracks somewhere along the way to the return pump. The water will continue to leak out until the water level is lower than the intake. If located on the bottom of the aquarium, like mine, ALL of the water will drain out. Simple gravity drain physics.

Oh yeah, and your pump will more than likely burn out from the lack of water.

mike

Lincutis
02/01/2007, 11:55 AM
ok, thanks. I read it wrong.

reefkoi
02/01/2007, 01:02 PM
yeah you are right, if my impeller spins off and the seal has a gap then I would eventually drain my tank down a ways, but this is a risk of having a reeftank. Think about a sump what if the pipe returning to the tank burst youd lose a lot of water, what if a tank seam breaks, a lot of things could happen, thats why you want to use smart plumbing ideas, and make sure you are knowledgable at plumbing it so you dont do something that could cause a disaster