PDA

View Full Version : How to make closed loop flow as dispersed as possible?

E-A-G-L-E-S
01/31/2007, 11:34 PM
I am wondering how to make the flow the most dispersed I can. It will be a Sequence Dart most likely(possibly Barracuda or Hammerhead...but those would be tricky as I have a sand bed and would like to keep it) on a OM 4-Way.
4' H.L.
58G 3'x2'x21"

Pez Vela
02/01/2007, 12:26 AM
matt,

i have an OM 4-way with a dart too. I have 10 returns (some are gated off to allow me to change the direction of the flow) I can swirl the flow, make them push water directly at each other, have one set flow up high in the water column while the other is blowing low, etc.... I change my directions every week or two by simply opening one gate valve an closing the other. Just like how tides ebb and flow and swells come from the north, south east or west or a combo.

I learned this while on a "behind th scenes" tour of the Long Beach Aquarium. Of course their pumps and equipment pretty much run a lot of different tanks etc... But, the idea is similar.the nice thing is that all of my bulkheads are located on the back and side panels with no piping in the tank. Real clean look! Sometimes I will insert a "T" or a "elbow" into the bulkhead for a week or so to divert the water to clean under or behind the LR and suspend detritus up in the water clomn and ultimately into the overflow.

mike

Abengochea
02/01/2007, 12:39 AM
what size are the returns you have Pez?

Pez Vela
02/01/2007, 01:06 AM
armando,

all of my returns are 1". I will try and get some pics tomorrow.

mike

mg426
02/01/2007, 02:23 AM
I use a Dart on my 125. I have 8 out lets in the tank.I can move them up or down as I need to. They are not glued. I also run the darts return into a tee that takes some of the flow through a SCWD(soon to be an OM squirt). I like the performance alot.

lawrenceparrish
02/01/2007, 04:47 AM
what type and size of inlet do you guys run and where is it located? setting up a sequence dart here on a 90 pre-drilled with one overflow that has one hole for drain and one for return and need ideas for closed loop-prefer not to drill back of tank walls :)

Henry Bowman
02/01/2007, 09:13 AM
Do a search for penductors. They are nozzles that attach to the output side of your closed loop (in the tank). They create a much larger dispersion of water and are very efficient.

E-A-G-L-E-S
02/01/2007, 10:36 AM
I have looked at both penductors and eductors. Is a Dart a good pump for such an application?
Fou of these off the OM 4-Way would be nice, but am also worried a little about their size as I am doing this whole venture for a 'cleaner look'.

sabodish
02/01/2007, 01:08 PM
i dont think they would work on a dart..the darts are flow rated pumps not pressure rated.

Abengochea
02/01/2007, 04:44 PM
thats correct, u need to use them on a pressure rated pump