PDA

View Full Version : Newbie controller questions

jdellman
02/01/2007, 08:42 AM
I am currently deciding which equipment to purchase for a 120. My question is whether it is better to purchase a multipurpose controller or individual ones?

I decided on going with 2 Tunze 6100s because they are controllable, and planned to purchase the controller later. In researching the heaters, everyone recommends using a controller for those, so I planned on getting a Ranco (sp?) for that. I will also need to purchase a thermometer and a ph meter as well.

Does it make sense to just purchase a controller instead? I reviewed the comparison chart, and I am not sure what I will need down the road. I just noticed that the ProfiLux Plus II was the only one that controlled the Tunze.

The ProfiLux is expensive, $650, but if I can use it instead of a Tunze controller ($200), a heater controller ($79) and thermometer and ph, is it worth it, or will I be wasting money on a controller with capabilities that I will not be using?

Thanks for the advise.

Henry Bowman
02/01/2007, 08:55 AM
You have posted THE $100 question. I have an aquatronica and now that I have looked at the Profilux, I wish I could go back and get it. The Profilux will do all the things a good controller will do AND it will control the Tunze's. (I have 2 Tunze 6000's and the controler for them) more wires, more clutter around and under the tank. I realize that there is a significant expense difference here .... but.

I think you can plug the Profilux into a laptop or run a cable to your PC and control the tank from there. Everything from one platform. More expensive to start with but in the long run I'd bet (with your desire to use controllers) the Profilux would be the best bet.

"Not knowing what you will need down the road" is the real issue here. If you "think" you will be using a controller to assist in using a calcium reactor, heaters, poss a chiller...You'd be better off with one unit that you can get to know and utilize to run the system. WIth a single larger more expensive controller, you'll ultimately have less mess. I hear pinpoints are good but I;d have to have a powerstrip for all the transformers and in the long run, you'd spend over a grand getting enough individual controllers to monitor and control what 1 good controller can do.

I'd bet you end up using more of the features if you had them.

Again profilux.

jdellman
02/02/2007, 08:44 AM
Thank you Henry. That's one of the problems with this hobby for a newbie, when everything is purchased at the beginning, we do not know enough about what we will need down the road to make intelligent choices when we buy now.

Thanks,

Jim

Henry Bowman
02/02/2007, 11:12 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean. I have been working on a 2nd 90 gl SPS tank for almost a year now. I'm just buying what I think is the best item for the system as I go. I'm about to sell a brand new skimmer to get a larger one. Since there's no water in the tank, It'll be easy to move from under the stand now but I'll be stuck once I get the water in it. Better to get it right the first time, gonna end up costing me about -$50 once I get the deal done. Should have purchased the better one to start with.....

RobbyG
02/02/2007, 11:29 AM
The Profilux is a nice controller but I have one major issue with it and that is the fact that it is very limited in its ability to expand, and expansion is exactly what you need in a controller.

Everything you think you need your controller to do as of today, will be doubled in 6 months, pretty much the way it is for everything in saltwater aquariums. So I would say I am in total disagreement with Henrys argument about the Aquatronica. The fact that it has almost unlimited amount of expansion and the most high tech method of dealing with new devices (Plug and Play), is what made it the choice for me.

If one looks at the controllers on the Market, Aquatronica has been coming out with more software updates and Hardware additions than any other controller company on the Market. The ability to control Tunzes is definitely on their agenda and I think you will be sorry if later on if you skipped considering Aquatronica based soly on that option.

Henry Bowman
02/02/2007, 12:03 PM
Robby, I think you read me wrong. I am happy with the aquatronica. Just wish I had the ability to control the Tunze's with it. Didn't know controlling the Tunze's was on the horizon. I do know the Aquatronica folks are trying to keep up with the times. I also didnt know the Profilux is so limited in it's expansion optinos

Jdellman, didnt mean to steer you wrong. I have read Robby's posts in various forums. He know's his stuff.

ErikS
02/02/2007, 12:10 PM
Really it comes down to your peronal priorities & needs. Just make a list of the "must haves" & then find the controller that matches.

For example in my case the number 1 "must have" was a built in web server. No serial cables, no adapters, no other kludges. That alone cut the field by quite a bit (at the time of purchase).

If controlling the Tunze is the #1 priority then weed them out based on that....but check the "plans", it may be a future feature.

RobbyG
02/02/2007, 01:57 PM
Erik I agree with you 100%, it all comes down to making a list and finding out what you need.
What I was addressing was the expansion ability of the Profilux versus the Aquatronica and the importance of that.
I really like the Profilux, but for the life of me I cannot figure out why they limited its expansion with those plug in boards as compared to other units from Neptune, Aquatronica, Elos and others that can just daisy chain multiple expansion modules. For right now it seems that with the Profilux even if your willing to pay for more expansion you are stuck with the 3 module Internal limit.

Henry
Sorry if my post sounded a bit harsh, it was not meant to be. I figured that you might not have read about the Profilux limited expansion. The Profilux really is a great controller but for the price bracket it is in, it really needs to have more expansion.

Proline
02/02/2007, 05:41 PM
Robby G
You can chain the profilux powerbars together ,all the new packages include a digital powerbar that could be chained, not only that if there is a problem with the controller itself the MP in the smart digital powerbar will now & will discontinue that service or replace it with a preset option.
Also each package will come with 10 sockets.
As for expansion beyond 3 sockets you can do that ,most controllers have expansion modules & we can network another controller to your existing one to expand ,as for the cost of that is even less than some other brands expansion modules,there is combo cards for profilux so each socket handles more than 1 probe,you could have all the features of profilux ,& still be left with free expansion soket.
Now the other thing that you don't address in your post or chart is ,quality of probes,the reading that you get is as accurate as your probe is made out to be ,Profilux comes with lab grade probes which clearly sets it apart from other controllers.
As for tunze control of course is an important feature ,just deduct the cost of a multicontroller from the cost of profilux maybe it starts to look more appealling to you now.
Either way ,there are different products for different people ,when you are giving advice to people based on what will be developed I don't think that is fair to other brands or making people feel bad about purchasing one now,don't get me wrong I appreciate what you done with the chart ,however does not address all the issues one has to look into to find the right controller .
I don't want to make this a lengthy debate ,we will have a forum here on RC by the end of the month & be more than happy to hear from all of you guys,meanwhile happy controlling whatever controller you use.

:rollface:

RobbyG
02/02/2007, 06:27 PM
Hi Proline
Thanks for the reply, it's nice to know that you are on RC actively supporting your controller :)
The 3 expansion port sockets is the problem that I have with the Profilux, while It is nice to know that you can Network another Controller onto the first to expand the ports, this seems to me to not be a optimum fix for the situation. What I am looking forward to is if you guys can make an expansion Box that can use one of the three ports and allow people to get 6 or 10 ports from that one port, with the added possibility of daisy chaining multiple expansion boxes.

The usage of ports and Plugs on a controller is something that most people seriously underestimate, it starts out looking as though you will only use a few and ends up that you use a lot. It is not uncommon for people to end up with 2 pH probes, 1 ORP, 1 DO, 1 Salinity, 2 Temp and up to 4 or 5 Level sensors, with some getting 2 leakage pads and an SMS module, add to that the introduction of Ca and No3 probes in the near future and you can see how quickly those ports can get used up. That is one of the nice things about having a very expandable controller, every Birthday and Christmas I can add a new toy to the system and still have room for more:)
I really like what I have read about your controller, I have not seen one in person yet but the specs do look impressive, I hope that you guys can work out a better method for expansion and make the package truly complete.