PDA

View Full Version : Dart/Barracuda/Hammerhead -- Which one for CL on 58g SPS?

E-A-G-L-E-S
02/01/2007, 09:00 AM
I will be using an OM 4-Way. This is a 58g. 3'x2'x21"

Crusty Old Shellback
02/01/2007, 09:08 AM
I think even a dart might be too much. On my 7' long 400 G tank, I have one of each. dart for sump return, hammerhead on C/L with a large swimming pool canister filter and a barracuda on a OM 4 way C/L.

With the OM 4 way and Barracuda, I have 2 returns on the upper right end wall of the tank and 2 returns on the lower left end wall of the tank. I'm also using a #1 drum I think it is, one return at a time open with a little overlap. When the right returns are open, I get a small wave going across the top of the tank. When the lower left ones are open, they have a 45 on them pointing up towards the surface which is 3' above them, I get a pretty good disturbance on the water surface.

So with a 58g tank, you might want to rethink that. Or your going to have a LOT of flow in that small tank. ;)

Other than that, I like my sequence pumps and the company has top notch custmer service. Good luck.

E-A-G-L-E-S
02/01/2007, 09:12 AM
Well, actually If I used a Dart I would be about the same total gph as I am replacing what I currently use...Tunze 6000(1840gph) and 2-nano6025's(2x660GPH).
And I feel like i could use more?

Crusty Old Shellback
02/01/2007, 09:17 AM
Yea I guss that's true, but the flow would all be concentrated in one opening. Unless you split that up so that you'd have say 8 return holes in the tank, 2 being open at a time.

I know I'm running my Dart on my return and I have 2 X 1 1/2" returns up over the top of the tank and my 2" drain from my overflow can barley keep up with it. It does put out a lot of flow. Plus being a C/L there will be very minimal head loss.

E-A-G-L-E-S
02/01/2007, 09:26 AM
Well i was thinking I'd get the Drum that does two outlets at a time. Two from left, then two from right, etc.
I was also thinking of ramping up the pvc in size from 1.5" to 2" at four outputs for a little more dispersement.

Do you think I'd be better off with 8 outlets? I could use "Y's" at outputs to turn four to eight, or I could just "T" off right after drum and have 8 outlets?

My Problem is I will only have one 2" hole drilled for CL intake and ALL returns will be Over The Top....and eight pieces of 1.5" pvc ramped to 2" at ends is ALOT of plumbing coming over the top :(

What do you think??

Crusty Old Shellback
02/01/2007, 10:43 AM
2" or 1 1/2" intake is fine. I have a 1 1/2" intake on my Dart.

If your going over the top, then that complicates things a bit as far as plumbing. You could go 1 1/2" from the OM to the top of the tank and then split it to 2 X 1" outputs into the tank. That may give you a little head loos but it shouldn't be much.

If you go 2 open at once, then you may be able to get away with just 1 1/2" over the top and 4 returns as that would split out the flow some.

Best thing to do is set it up in the garage and test. Try and have it so that you can reconfigure it to another setup without wasteing too much plumbing. Thinsg like male - male slips help when you cut the PVC to make it shorter. Hope you understand that part and it's not too confusing.

Good luck. If you were closer, I'd give you some of my extra plumbing parts. Also, I've taken elbows and such and drilled out the old PVC to reuse them again. It just takes a little extra glue on the joints for them to hold. ;)

chrisT
02/01/2007, 10:45 AM
I think the Dart will be too much. I have a Dart on my 120 and I cant keep the sand in place with the drum in my oceansmotion.

You can see I have a total of 6 outlets but the four over the top are tied into two of the OM ports. The other two ports are the spa jets drilled through the side walls.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/cmachine/DSC_0087.jpg

I didnt have the experience to judge what one outlet would put out on this tank. I bought the version with one opening at a time but ended up taking the dremel to it, and now have two ports open at a time now which is still to much. I really need to back off the flow on some of the legs, but this caused the seal at the impeller to leak from the back pressure :rolleyes:

Just to give you an idea of the plumbing. Two 2" intakes, a 2"output from the dart, and four 1.5" outlets to the tank.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/cmachine/tank2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/cmachine/DSC_0005.jpg