PDA

View Full Version : epoxy putty vs super glue gel

TheMcs
02/01/2007, 10:37 AM
I've almost always used putty (Marineland, two little fishies stuff is horrible) with good success. I read a few places that warn not to use putty as the thermic reaction to it setting can get too hot for the frag. Never saw any ill effects until mounting a piece of A. cerealis. 2 pieces did great, the 3rd receeded in perfect shadow of the putty line.
I've got a big fragging job coming up and thought I'd try SGG for a change. Anyone notice any difference between the two?
I'd say out of 100 SPS frags both at home and work, that one is the only bad result. Just don't want to chance it anymore if I don't have to.

SDguy
02/01/2007, 11:23 AM
I use a combination of SGG and epoxy. Never had a problem, even with <1/2" frags. I use aquamend from HD. But, IMHO, if you can get away with just using SGG, then do so.

FWIW, I also noticed at least one of the vendors that warns against this also sells the TLF epoxy, which IME WILL burn the crap out of SPS tissue, a good 1/2"+ from the glue spot.

TheMcs
02/01/2007, 01:41 PM
Never did like the TLF putty, but really like working with the Marineland stuff.
When I had used the SGG I just found rubble with holes or indents to stick the frag into w/SGG. Not a fan of frag plugs or disks.

Serioussnaps
02/01/2007, 02:31 PM
I use the Tunze 2 part epoxy/putty stuff...but I have switched over to superglue. Dries quicker, less of a process(takes 30 seconds in a bowl and then bam..in the tank) and my acros seem to encrust better over the superglue whereas with the putty it acts almost as an impediment to encrustation.