PDA

View Full Version : Multiple CL pumps?

MinibowMatt
02/01/2007, 11:16 AM
Is it possible to connect two external pumps in series to put more flow through a CL?
I was thinking it may be possible if you put them both in parallel from the drain, and then reconnect the lines after the pumps?

I dunno, it may not work. I have a 1" CL with three outlets on a T4, and I would like more flow. The T4 is being fed by a 1" BH. The tank is a 50G Tall 36x18x17H

BeanAnimal
02/01/2007, 11:58 AM
In theory 2 series pumps provide twice the pressure and 2 parallel pumps twice the flow. In reality neither is true due to parastic oscilaltions and imbalance. The setup will be less efficient than 2 isolated pumps.

2 Series pumps may be usefull to overcome high head in the event that no other options are available. 2 Parallel pumps would likely suffer from plumbing restrictions and cause severe efficiency loss.

MinibowMatt
02/01/2007, 03:25 PM
hmm.. unfortunate....
I would love to increase flow, but I dont really want to drill another hole for a CL Intake. that would be a PITA. Id have to drain the tank half way for a few minutes to do that..

dougchambers
02/01/2007, 05:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9134336#post9134336 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MinibowMatt
hmm.. unfortunate....
I would love to increase flow, but I dont really want to drill another hole for a CL Intake. that would be a PITA. Id have to drain the tank half way for a few minutes to do that.. You can always pull your CL inlet from over the top. Once you are primed, you shouldn't have any problems. We ran one on our 75g like that for years.

-Doug

chinaman4u
02/03/2007, 07:30 PM
Hi, matt. I have interest in this thread. I used a Mag 9.5 to drive my skimmer, freeing up a iwaki 40 that I intend to use as a closed loop to eliminate powerheads in the tank. I think I'm going to do an over the top setup to avoid drilling my tank further, one 1.5" hole was hair raising enough for me! LOL Considering a squirt device of a DIY nature.

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/4831/closedloopux3.jpg

As for using a 1" inlet split into two pumps would force the pumps to work against each other, causing some loss, however, you would increase flow in the end(I was assuming that the outputs would drain to the tank seperately, not recombining, as you posted), if the pumps were the same; I don't see this as a problem. As, stated this isnt the most efficient.
However, for example, if one pump was 1200 gph and the other was 100 gph, I think the larger pump would render the smaller nearly unusable.

BeanAnimal
02/03/2007, 07:45 PM
Lowering the motor will not cuase head loss, but it will cause some friction loss.

dougchambers
02/04/2007, 08:28 AM
Hey China Man -

How are you returning water from your Softy tank to the main display? With the ball valve to the left of your fill port open, you have an Open Loop as drawn. There must be more too it?

-Doug

chinaman4u
02/04/2007, 10:06 PM
I have overflows in each tank, just not shown in drawing.