PDA

View Full Version : Best way to automate a nano tank??

ezcompany
02/01/2007, 12:39 PM
Hi all, i'm pretty newb when it comes to the equipment side of things so please forgive my lack of knowledge.

I would like to automate my 24 gallon sps tank as much as possible so I can go on trips and such without worrying.

I would like to:

Top off water
Dose 2 parts, twice a day (Randy's 2 part)
Dose 2 Trace elements (Tropic Marin K & A)

It seems to me the best equipment out there are currently the Tunze Osmolator and the Litermeter III.

Now my question is
1. If I purchase the Litermeter III, will this cover the auto top off portion so I don't have to get a Osmolator?
2. Do I need to purchase additional tubing and pumps to cover the above functions?
3. Are there any cheaper but just as reliable alternatives to the osmo or the litermeter? JBJ ATO? Nautilus II? Are there BETTER alternatives?
4. Whatelse can the litermeter and Osmolator do for me besides the functions I named above?
5. How does one incorporate a Aquacontroller Jr. with the above? I don't have one but am thinking of getting into a group buy for one. Are they worth it?

Thank you SO much for your help!

ezcompany
02/01/2007, 02:03 PM
b

ezcompany
02/02/2007, 02:05 PM
buMP anyone

smatter
02/02/2007, 04:59 PM
The Osmolator is the best ATO for the $ IMO when you look at the added safety features. I use a kalk reactor with it, however if you want to dose 2 part the LiterMeter will serve you better. I have had a LiterMeter and found it to be very reliable and precise. The high water level sensor is an accessory.

ezcompany
02/02/2007, 06:41 PM
thanks, does the litermeter cover the auto top off function of the osmolator?

Newreeflady
02/02/2007, 07:24 PM
I hope you find someone with the products you're looking for.

I am trying to automate my 45g system as well. I have added the JBJ ATO (Works like a charm!) And, i'm currently using a pump from reefdosingpumps.com for my B-ionic. Unfortunately this pump does not have fine enough tuning for a small reef tank to be dosed 24/7. The thing i'm considering now is to dilute the products as on setting "1" it is too little, and on setting "2" it is a little too much.

After all this, i'm now looking at a controller but i've not found one for the price I want with internet management capabilities that is reliable (I keep seeing more and more posts about blown DC4's and problematic DC8's, so i'm not sure i'm going to invest in the AC III afterall.)

GL, these are just my experiences. I have no experience with the equipment you mention.

Best,
Angela

smatter
02/02/2007, 08:31 PM
It does, but you will have to buy two additional pumps and they ain't cheap. I would just go for the Osmo with the Kalk dispenser for way less $. Plus you get the added benefits of kalkwasser like the precipitation of phosphate.

ezcompany
02/03/2007, 03:11 AM
i would do that, but kalk isn't enough to meet my calcium demands. i need to dose 60 ml of calcium a day along with 180 ml of randy alk

ezcompany
02/03/2007, 03:15 AM
wow, for the price of the sentry i would much rather get a litermeter!

ezcompany
02/09/2007, 07:54 PM
bump! anymore suggestions?