PDA

View Full Version : Lighting needed...$400 buring a hole in my pocket

D-Rod
02/01/2007, 02:27 PM
I've read until I almost fried my brain...
There are so many conflicting opinions on this brand, ballast,refelctors, fixtures, retrofit and bulbs.

I'm not the greatest electrician so retros are an option only if the instructions and simple like...connect blue to red then twist in wirenut...

Currently my tank is FOWLR and I am going to get into corals as soon as I choose my lighting, I want to get lighting set so I can keep ALL types of coral, haven't decided yet on what types, keeping an eye on not having to upgrade a year or 2 from now

I need some advice on a 48" very good to great with $400.
and bulb selection.

I read soooooooooooo mant threads on lighting...my eves actually hurt.
:eek2: :eek1: :eek:

J8851
02/01/2007, 02:58 PM
I'm in the same boat

GSMguy
02/01/2007, 03:54 PM
tek light t5 from reef geek look no further or the ati t5 unit both from reefgeek in other words call reef geek

BurntOutReefer
02/01/2007, 04:04 PM
48" MH/T5 combo....keep anything you want.

BurntOutReefer
02/01/2007, 04:06 PM
hellolights.com

joebo1717
02/01/2007, 04:32 PM
I was in a similar situation as you at the begining of January. My new lighting is coming together nicely now. I have a 75gal and was running pc lights but decided i wanted to upgrade so i could keep clams and any coral i wanted. After 3 weeks of research and price shopping I think i found the ultimate solution. Here is what i ordered

Coral Vue Dual 250watt Electronic ballast from marinereefmadness on ebay.

2 parabolic reflectors from diy reef.

2 20k 250 watt reefoptix bulbs from whulljr. He is on ebay but i emailed him direct and just sent money throgh paypal.

Total for all of this was 320 shipped. I found the reflectors cheaper at hello lights after i ordered but it was a small difference. I also ordered a 6 pack of computer case fans and an ac/dc converter for my hood through frys.com Total for this was 45.

My rationale behind this was the ballast will fire se and de bulbs so if i want to switch to de's in the future i don't have to replace my ballast, only pendents and bulbs. Also a good de bulb can't be found for under $60 and the reefoptics bulbs were $67 for both including shipping. I figured on this system i can keep the replacement bulb cost down annually compared to replacing multiple t5 bulbs. A six light t5 system will cost you at minimum $120 to replace on an annual basis.

I will be putting together a thread in the next week once everything is here to show just how easy this system will be to install. It is basically just twist blue to blue and plug in. If you want anymore specific information send me a pm.

D-Rod
02/01/2007, 08:14 PM
I'll follow your thread...joebo1717
Maybe it will work for me unless I find something else.

STEVEBEAM
02/14/2007, 12:50 PM
Find the supplier not the reseller. Save $$$$

aclos3
02/14/2007, 01:06 PM
How large is your tank? The length is not any more important than the width and height. If you have a really wide tank, halides are probably going to be your best bet. If you have a 55g, t5s all the way!

Similarly, the wattage of halides or the number of t5s will also probably depend on the height of the tank.