PDA

View Full Version : Finally starting up....1 last question

champscorner
02/01/2007, 04:49 PM
i'm starting up my new 90gal next week. i've heard different opinions on this but should i start up with straight well water or my ro/di water?

jgoodrich71
02/01/2007, 04:56 PM
It would be better to start with ro/di. That is the whole idea behind using ro/di, is so that you know what you are putting in the tank, not putting in extra nutrients. You have the filter, why not use it?

champscorner
02/01/2007, 05:20 PM
thanks man. i've heard that it my be better to start with the unfiltered water to cycle the tank initially and then switch to ro/di water. not sure trying to get opinions. thanks

alan214
02/01/2007, 06:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9135232#post9135232 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by champscorner
thanks man. i've heard that it my be better to start with the unfiltered water to cycle the tank initially and then switch to ro/di water. not sure trying to get opinions. thanks

I've never heard of that before. Best to go with RO/DI from the beginning.

socalreefer73
02/01/2007, 06:38 PM
RO/DI from the beginning. Who knows what's in your well water that would cause algal, diatomaceous, or dinoflagellate blooms. You will have a long battle of decent water changes to remove the offending nutrients... + the cost of salt...

Misled
02/01/2007, 06:39 PM
Always and forever, Use RO/DI. Accept no substitutes!

socalreefer73
02/01/2007, 06:41 PM
I was fiddling with some data... You'll can mirror the concentration of nitrate to the concentration of anything in the tank. Water changes reduce the concentrations of compunds we do not want in our tanks, but nothing but a 100% change will 'reset' and remove a bad acting compound completely. Copper is toxic to inverts in low amounts. I wouldn't trust the well one bit, esp nowadays...

champscorner
02/01/2007, 07:57 PM
thanks all!!! looks like i got some bad info. i love this site!!!!!!!

socalreefer73
02/02/2007, 11:26 AM
:beer:

Cheers bud!!!

How excited you must be! I can't wait to start up something bigger than the nanos I run!!!

Always ask RC before anything you're not sure of, but also take the advice with a grain of salt. A lot is anecdotal advice, unsupported by scientific method.

But on this issue, RO/DI first most definitely! You want to start as pristine as possible....

archie2
02/02/2007, 11:46 AM
Hello champscorner

Here is something worth reading by Adam H. Whitlock wether it be your first tank startup or 2nd, 3rd...........

http://www.netpets.org/fish/reference/tao/tao.html

check it out :)