PDA

View Full Version : hermit ate my starfish! Need advice!!

eaglesrx
02/01/2007, 06:21 PM
Just discovered my little purple starfish all torn up!!!! He's about 2.5 inches wide, I think a fromia elegans, but not 100% sure. Not as thick as a linkia, even for a small one. My hermit crab that I think is the culprit is my electric blue hermit crab.

My starfish still has 2 arms attached to what's left of his mouth and is still moving around. Looks like his organs are exposed above his mouth.

Question: 1. Should I dispose of the starfish even if his mouth is still together?

2. Has anyone ever had a hermit crab eat their starfish? What about an electric blue one?

I've heard those electric blue hermits are a little more aggressive, but, they haven't bothered anything in my tank for the last year.

Thanks in advance!!
Phu

socalreefer73
02/01/2007, 06:34 PM
Starfish regenerate. I believe if ther eis a piece of the mouth, the rest will grow back.

Crabs can be nasty...

no experience with crabs and starfish... sorry...

eaglesrx
02/01/2007, 06:39 PM
thanks socalreefer73; Hopefully it will recover. We'll see!!!!

Salamander
02/01/2007, 06:46 PM
By bet is that the starfish was not doing so well and the crabs took advantage. Starfish can simply fall apart when they'ev not been acclimated well or have been starving. But who knows.

eaglesrx
02/01/2007, 06:54 PM
Salamander, you might be right. I made the stupid mistake of only acclimating him over an hour. It was one of those impulse buys. I should have done it slower. It probably weakened the starfish. Thanks for the info.