PDA

View Full Version : When do I replace filters?

t5Nitro
02/01/2007, 05:53 PM
I have a 4 filter set up, the 4th was an extra bought filter, I think it is carbon you said for chlorine filtering, this one is going the rust color and I know when that gets full rust color to replace it.

What about the other 3, do you need to replace those any time?

Thefilterguys
02/01/2007, 07:15 PM
Your carbon block filters should be changed every 6-9 months as a general rule. Your DI cartridge should be changed as soon as you start seeing a reading of 2-3. The color will change first if you have color changing resin which is a heads up to pay attention for a reading. Do not let DI resin raise above that 2-3 as your pure water quality will go down hill very fast as DI resin starts to throw back TDS.

Jim.

t5Nitro
02/24/2007, 01:05 PM
What is 2-3? I don't have a gauge to measure this? Which one is the DI housing? I have the carbon one going to the rust color, so I will change that when it gets full. The one right next to it is white, I think, but maybe going more brown. I think it's a ocean wave 75 gpd unit.

It looks like where it says Ocean Wave + on the unit, it has a white filter, then a middle black one, then what I think was white (turning a little brown to cream color) and then the carbon filter after that. The white one going more cream/brown color is on the opposite side of the ocean wave words.

Is the one going more brown the DI?

t5Nitro
02/24/2007, 01:21 PM
Oh ya, also filling a 125 gallon tank right now with a 40 gallon sump/fuge that will probably hold about 20 gallons. Is it good to run the RO/DI to fill the whole thing or better to use tapwater with conditioner for this? So far I probably have around 20 gallons made.

Just looked on your site, the filter that is hanging off to the side a bit, that's the DI? It is about 1/4 that rust color, the rest is black.
I thought that filter was the chlorine or chloramine filter though, I'm confused. I can get a picture of my unit up here if it can help? Thanks.

Thefilterguys
02/24/2007, 02:36 PM
Your DI resin sounds OK for now that is the one your talking about but you really need a TDS meter and the inline ones are best. Don't use tap water use RO/DI it is the best and you will have fewer issues in the long run.

Jim

t5Nitro
02/24/2007, 07:13 PM
So the one that was white and going more cream/brown is the DI resin? The other one that's 1/4 rust color and the rest is black is the carbon. OK thanks! It's getting a workout, filling my 125 with 40 gallon sump lol. I will try to get the TDS meter as soon as I can.

Thefilterguys
02/25/2007, 12:33 AM
The first stage where you water comes in is your sediment filter the last filter is your DI filter the one which is 1/4 changed..

Jim