PDA

View Full Version : Kalk Question

jimsflies
02/01/2007, 08:40 PM
I am using a Tunze Osmolator and Tunze calcium dispenser to feed kalk and topoff water. I have noticed that after a few days the kalk seems to be less "reactive" than when it was first put in the dispenser. I am basing this on the fact that the pH of the aquarium trends downward even though the daily rate of top off remains the same. I'm monitoring pH via my Neptune controller and the probe is calibrated.

Shaking up the calcium reactor helps, but it still doesn't maintain pH as well as when it is first placed in the cacium dispenser.

Just curious what mechanism is causing this. The dispenser is fairly air tight so I don't think it is due to CO2 degradation.

mattboy
02/01/2007, 10:58 PM
I have not heard great things about the tunze kalkwasser dispenser; I have a feeling once the KW settles, the input from the osmolator doesn't really stir it up and you're left with adding unsaturated KW. I have a few friends who have used the osmolator to push water into a KW reactor that has a good stirring pump and have had much better results.

Malifluous
02/02/2007, 01:39 AM
If the KW is not saturated, will it still add calcium and alkalinity to the tank?

bertoni
02/02/2007, 01:42 AM
Yes, it'll add some, unless all the lime has precipitated as calcium carbonate. That's unlikely, though. A pH or TDS measurement would let you know the status.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/02/2007, 11:48 AM
I always dose about half saturated limewater as my tank does not need more, and pH and alkalinity rise too high if I dose more.