PDA

View Full Version : Reef Builder and Calc Recipe together

Trickman2
02/01/2007, 11:08 PM
Hi Randy,
I have a bunch of Reef builder left but no Calcium supplement so I decided to mix up your three part recipe #1. How much Dry Reef builder do I need to use to match Part 1 of your recipe. Also the tank is 80 gallons how much would you recommend me dosing daily starting off. It has a mixture of corals. Alot of LPS and some softies.:D

Thanks in advance

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/02/2007, 11:42 AM
I do not know the exact volume-based potency of Reef Builder. As a best guess, use it as if it were baking soda. :)

I give detailed dosing instructions here:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php#15

Trickman2
02/02/2007, 12:45 PM
Maybe this info may help
From their website

DIRECTIONS: BEGINNER: Use half a level teaspoon per 150 L (40 gallons) twice a week. Dissolve in at least one cup of freshwater. Check alkalinity every 2 weeks and adjust dose or frequency accordingly. ADVANCED: Check alkalinity, then follow dosing regimen above until alkalinity is adjusted to 4–5 meq/L. Each dose will raise alkalinity by about 0.25 meq/L. Size or frequency of dose can be adjusted, but do not exceed 1 meq/L per day. Thereafter, use as required to maintain alkalinity. EXPERT: After determining the alkalinity consumption rate, set up a continuous drip system. Use the following formula to determine how much to add to your top-off water: t=0.05va (t=teaspoons to add to top off water, v=volume of tank in gallons, a=amount to raise alkalinity in meq/L). For example, if you want to raise your alkalinity by 1 meq/L in a 50 gallon tank, then you would add 0.05x50x1=2.5 teaspoons into the top-off water. HINTS: Use MultiTest:™ Marine pH & Alkalinity to measure total alkalinity.

Trickman2
02/02/2007, 12:46 PM
So for 80 gallon tank you are recommending
40ml daily

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/02/2007, 12:50 PM
That is a reasonable starting dose of Recipe 1, yes. :)

I don't suspect that info is any more accurate than assuming it has the same potency as baking soda.