PDA

View Full Version : Found a "new" sand

Icefire
02/02/2007, 03:13 AM
http://www.glcalcium.com/datasheets...g%20Calcium.pdf

Basicly, it's calcium to feed the cattles, made from pure Calcite limestone. Available in most COOP at ~2$/ 50lbs.
12 Mesh sze is 1.68mm, I guess it's better than pulverised limestone (dust).

%
Calcium Carbonate CaCO3 98.24
Elemental Calcium Ca 42.21
Magnesium Carbonate MgCO3 1.32
Elemental Magnesium Mg 0.36
Silica SiO2 0.3
Aluminum A12O3 0.06
Iron Fe2O3 0.09
Sulfur S 0.07
Total Available Carbonates 99.56

boxfishpooalot
02/02/2007, 04:33 AM
All I know about pulverizing limestone is that they use dust inhibitors to keep dust down wich will show up in the sand used . I dont know if thats a problem or not. You may want to find out the manufacturing process used. I think its chemical composition is fine being calcium carbonate is realativly slow to dissolve as should its other impurities. But wait for Randys advice on that.

Icefire
02/02/2007, 10:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9139297#post9139297 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by boxfishpooalot
You may want to find out the manufacturing process used.

Thank you for your interest in Great Lakes Calcium's products.

Our products are processed from calcite limestone. It is completely natural - nothing added and it is not treated

reverendmaynard
02/02/2007, 10:53 AM
Calcite has a different crystal structure from aragonite. It's much more jagged and sharp. I'm not sure if it's proven or conjecture, but I've heard that sand bed critters that ingest the sand may be harmed by the calcite.

Chemically, it should be pretty much identicle, IIRC.

Holmez221b
02/02/2007, 11:19 AM
I use to work for a water filtration company and many of the houses in my area use Filters filled with calcite. I have one in my house. My water runs through that filter before it gets to my R/O. My tank has been up for 2 years with no problems.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/02/2007, 12:37 PM
Those particles are larger than the oolitic aragonite that I use, but if you like the particle size, the material should be OK to use.

Hobster
02/02/2007, 01:52 PM
would there be any potential problems with Phosphates from such a product?
We have tons of limestone here in Fl. Is this product a different form??

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/02/2007, 02:14 PM
There could be, but the requirements for sand are a lot lower than for reactor media, since it is mostly not dissolving.

Holmez221b
02/02/2007, 03:59 PM
The calcite we use in the filters is white with blue specs., Aesthetically I think it would look great. Since I run a "neutralizer"
in my house I'll check my water for Phosphates and see what I find.

Icefire
02/03/2007, 04:51 AM
Randy, Any tought on why finner sand like would turn to muck in water?

Our products are processed from calcite limestone. It is completely natural - nothing added and it is not treated. We do have a material that is the consistency of sand; however, when calcium carbonate is placed in water in this form, the consistency changes to muck. I'm sure that's not what you had in mind. However, my recommendation for a fish tank would be a coarse particle blend. The coarser product, stone-like, will retain its shape while putting calcium into the water.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/03/2007, 08:00 AM
First, you are not making a fish tank. They are thinking colored gravel, etc. :D

Second, too fine of sand may give a mud, but 1.68 mm is not that fine. It is actually pretty course. Maybe get a sample and see what it does for you. Perhaps even though it is sieved through that mesh size, that the actual particles are far smaller.

The nature of the chemical components has nothing to do with the "muck" issue.

Icefire
02/03/2007, 09:25 AM
Well if pulverised limestone is used and it's good, I doubt their sand like stuff will be that bad!

I'll go monday at a coop if they have feeding calcium.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/03/2007, 10:50 AM
Sounds good.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out. :)

aquarius77
02/03/2007, 02:36 PM
I love the endless supply of reef suitable supliments that i can find living in a more rural area.:D

Hobster
02/03/2007, 05:04 PM
I checked at two local feed stores here and they only have a 12% Calcium feed additive which is also high in phosphorus. Maybe only the Canadian cows get the good stuff.:)

boxfishpooalot
02/03/2007, 05:24 PM
If it really is as fine or finer as they say maybee it would make as a good diy Purple Up? Or is it called araga milk. Yea araga milk. Im sure some partilces would be as fine as araga milk. But araga milk is aragonite not calcite.

isjg
02/04/2007, 05:54 PM
Here in Oz crushed marble is very popular as it's cheap and available from building supply stores. It would be as sharp if not sharper than crushed limestone but many people keep cukes etc with it without problems.

Icefire
02/04/2007, 11:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9151247#post9151247 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hobster
I checked at two local feed stores here and they only have a 12% Calcium feed additive which is also high in phosphorus. Maybe only the Canadian cows get the good stuff.:)

http://www.glcalcium.com

There are based in WI, US, not Canada.

Email them for a local distributor.

Fraggle Rock2
02/26/2007, 01:53 AM
I used something similar. It's called Bomix and is available here locally in Canada.

Just for your information, I found some iron filings in my mix. Unfortunately, I didn't realize this until after I set up my tank. It's only been up for about 6 weeks, so I cannot tell you if this has any detrimental effects.

People have reported a lot of algae in the sand bed when this product was used and several have discontinued using it. My guess is it's from the iron. I don't have any test kits for metals, so I cannot say that there isn't anything else in there.

Cheers,
Fraggle Rock