PDA

View Full Version : newbie question on covered LR

fxmiau33
02/02/2007, 11:45 AM
i had just started cycle my tank for almost 5 weeks. Now the issue is that i would like to add another 3 more inch of sand bed to current 3 inch sand bed which is full of liverock. The new sand bed will be covering part of the LR under the new 3 inch sandbed.

The question is will it create problem to my setting by covering up the LR under the sand bed? If not, will the LR covered act as denitrator???

Hope can get some advice on this issue.

ElDiabloPollo
02/02/2007, 12:53 PM
I think you will get many different responses on this as there are many schools of thought. In my opinion Deep sand beds in the display just become sludge pits after about 3 years. I think that fillling in around the live rock will just cause more problems than benifits. However, there is no one proven way, so get as much advice and weigh the pros and cons for yourself.

J

fxmiau33
02/02/2007, 02:16 PM
As i had already aquascape the tank and only found out later that the sandbed is not deep enough. Would like to sort out is there any other alternative way beside bringing out all the LR and top up with sandbed?

current sandbed depth is only at 21/2 inch to 3 inch. I had cycle for almost 6 weeks including this week the NO3 still stay at 12.5mg which never drop. Hope can get more information regarding the topping up of sandbed before making any decision.

Sepeku
02/02/2007, 02:38 PM
the deep sand bed is not nessecary. It's nice. but your current depth is fine if you have a strong skimmer.

fxmiau33
02/02/2007, 03:10 PM
currently having a RM dual beckett, thought that by covering up partial of the LR with sandbed it can act as a denitrator and also DSB.

ElDiabloPollo
02/02/2007, 03:35 PM
I think buring the live rock will allow oxygen a way into the DSB. This will be counter productive as you are trying to create a 0 Oxygen environment. Also you would need about 3.5 to 4 more inches.

But as stated before, I feel a DSB is more a problem than a helper in the long run. It basically becomes a nutrient sink which will cause your reef to crash eaiser.

J

fxmiau33
02/02/2007, 04:10 PM
thanks for the info, will stick to current sandbed.

BeanAnimal
02/02/2007, 05:52 PM
Adding sand to the bed will be just fine.