PDA

View Full Version : What is the best Hair Algae eater?

jasper24
02/02/2007, 12:58 PM
I am addressing the cause of the algae (overfeeding) but want to keep this under control. I have a small hair algae problem on my overflow and a few places throughout the tank. What is the best addition to rid this? Queen Conch, lettuce nudibranch, etc? Thanks.

GreyDC
02/02/2007, 01:02 PM
Whats your current bioload?

jimwat
02/02/2007, 01:25 PM
If you can figure out how to block the light shining on your overflow, that would take care of the hair algae problem there. As for the rest of your tank, opinions vary on the best fish or critter. Since this topic comes up almost daily, a quick search will give you lots and lots different alternatives. Most work with at least some limited success depending on your specific needs.

My favorite critter is the Sea Hare as it eats a lot, and will go after HA when it is long (mows it from the top down). The downside is that it gets pretty big and will need to be given away once the HA is gone (so it does not starve). The Sea Hares will also ink if they are harassed (although mine never did).

Good Luck

nsreefer
02/02/2007, 01:27 PM
What about a lawnmower blenny?

jasper24
02/02/2007, 01:32 PM
Bioload is low. 58G display with about 15 gallons in the sump. I have 1 Small Yellow Tang (No flames please :)), 2 small tank raised clowns, and a six line wrasse. Tank has been established for about 1.5 years. I do 5G water changes every week, use 0 TDS RO/DI from my Typhoon 3, and use reef crystals salt. All parameters are dead. Bulbs (150W MH and 2 x 65W actinics) are changed every 7-8 months. The only thing that I can pin the algae on is overfeeding which I am addressing.

rstark33
02/02/2007, 01:43 PM
My algae/lawnmower blenny has eaten all of my HA. I think it should be a mandatory fish for all reefs as it eats all agaes and is pretty cheap!

20 20
02/02/2007, 01:53 PM
I've had two algae blennies, neither one ate algae, both ended up starving to death. I just bought a Foxface a week ago, it's mowing down the algae in my tank. Not sure if it would be OK in a 58 gallon tank, though.

SptfireXIV
02/02/2007, 02:01 PM
Clibonarius hermits. They play nice with each other and are hair algae eating machines.

jimwat
02/02/2007, 02:04 PM
I had three LM blennies including the one I have now. The one I have now does a decent job on the HA, the other two did not touch it and would not take prepared food and starved.

I also have a foxface that is doing a pretty good job at keeping the HA in check (with help from the LM).

alan214
02/02/2007, 02:05 PM
Let's not leave Trochus snails off the list. The decimated my HA population in a couple of weeks.