PDA

View Full Version : too much coralline

DrChaos619
02/02/2007, 12:59 PM
is there any way to get rid of unwanted coralline without taking a razorblade to it? I have an overgrowth of coraline growing all around the parimeter of the front glass panel of my tank and it looks unsightly. i used b-ionic when the tank was first starting and I stopped a while ago due to the explosion of coralline, but it still keeps on going!

I even have 2 enormous longspine urchins that don't seem to be doing much to control it.

any suggestions?

graveyardworm
02/02/2007, 02:46 PM
Problem with trying to eliminate coraline is its requirements are similar to many corals, so ending its ability to spred/grow is also going to limit, or kill your coral. Coralines requirements are also similar in some aspects to marine plants, unfortunately I dont think you can limit the growth of coraline without adverse effects to other livestock.

Your best hope might be something which will eat it. Kinda odd that the longspine arent really eating it, perhaps there's something else in there which they prefer.

piercho
02/02/2007, 05:53 PM
If you just supplement carbonate alkalinity and calcium, for instance using limewater, you will find that your coraline algae production goes down slowly over time as magnesium levels go down. Magnesium is more important to coraline algae than it is to many algae.

You can slow it down faster by letting your carbonate alkalinty level drop to the 1.5 meq/L to 2 meq/L range. Calcified algae like coraline do better with elevated carbonate levels, above 2 meq/L.

In both cases production will shift, and could shift to algae you like less. I'm very suprised that Diadema aren't taking care of it for you, coraline is at the top of their favorite food list. If they are new introductions, give them some time. It may take them a few weeks to adjust to the tank and start gnawing that rock down to bare white bone.

Samala
02/02/2007, 10:15 PM
The other side of this story is that, even if you kill the coralline without using a herbivore, there will most likley be the chalky residue left behind once the alga cells die. I've experienced it. Still had to razorblade the glass.

>Sarah